Dry Verge or Bed in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is 50 years old with Marley Wessex tiles.

Currently, the verges need attention I can either add a dry verge or remove old mortar and bed in. Having done more reading...

Given the age of the roof should I go dry verge or bed in? I know that bedding in will be cheaper on balance and although dry verge lasts longer it may be a false economy.

From what I can see the continuous dry verges are for slate tiles, if not what would be an option for my Marley Wessex tiles?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wessex has an odd/high profile
You can get a continuous dry verge that should accommodate the profile
Individual dry verge units may look/prove challenging to achieve cosmetic beauty
Mortar bedding again is challenging for a novice but is desirable
It depends on how the verge tile is regarding size full tile and depth of bed
Good luck

Agree.

Bedded by far Superior, done properly last a life time.. your house is 50 years old...
Data how do you go on remix mortar...to be truthful it does seem to colour match OK but it's a pig for deeper profiles I often revert back to building/sharp mixes.

Sponsored Links
Data how do you go on remix mortar

Colour is good as you say and holds its colour. it goes off hard, I think it could be good for DIY.
Having said that, I have done jobs on Grovebury's , bedded hips so a fair bed. and it was ok.
The vast majority of our work these days calls for lime mortars .. I'm kind of going back to where i started.

Plastic...forget it

Fair play to you it is handy to have in the van it gets you out of jail
Every customer I meet is plastic crazy and would have dry brickwork if they could.
Pugwork is an art and a dying one at that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back