Drying out Flow and return pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

I am replacing a radiator and need to shorten the pipework but dont want bulky compression fitting elbows by the skirting (solid floor). What is the best way to dry the pipe to guarantee that it will by dry enough to accept a yorkshire elbow?

Responses will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A vacuum cleaner. One which can suck and handle the water is best, but you CAN do it on "blow" but it does make a hell of a spray of water out of the open end(s) - all of them including the vent in the loft!

Careful using heat as it's easy to overheat the pipe(when the water evaporates) and oxidise it so it won't solder.

cut the pipe and blow into the ends using narrow plastic tube to force out as much water as possible. alow to drain for an hour or so

ChrisR said:
A vacuum cleaner. One which can suck

How do you make the seal around the open pipe? I've just bought a little wet 'n' dry dewalt and was wondering how you would do this - use a rag etc?

Sponsored Links
Its a right pain when theres still water coming out :evil:

I've used bread, pushing it up the pipe 8 inches or so.

Not had any callbacks . :D

How do you make the seal around the open pipe?

A plastic bag wrapped loosely round the gap seals very well. It gets sucked part way in.

I wouldn't dream of using bread on a combi system!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back