Drystacked Black Limeston Wall - How to shore up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

I have am dry-stacking a decorative wall around a pizza oven, and was intending to back mortar it for strength, but I'm now not sure that it will do a lot of good?!?

Can anyone advise what the best course of action is please - completely fill the cavity with cement/fill with some other...something/any options?

Wall will be around 4' high. Bricks are 4" deep, cavity varies between 2" - 3". Ties in blocks.

Top of wall will be finished with a limestone slab sitting on the blocks and the bricks.

Attachments

• IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3226.JPG
    IMG_3226.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3227.JPG
    IMG_3227.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
If you have the patience you could could drill, plug and put one or two long screws in the back of each block then fill the cavity with a mix of sharp sand/cement or concrete and it will tie it all together.

Hi cdbe, I was hoping not to have to cement/concrete it as under the oven is a wood store, and the blocks are already damp most of the time and I'm thinking filling with cement will just cause more damp?

Sponsored Links
What about filling the void with pea shingle (or similar). Will drain any water and prevent bricks being pushed back?

Or layer with pea shingle up to the first row of ties, mortar around the ties only, add another layer of pea shingle to the next row of ties...repeat...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back