Drywall / Garbage smell advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

we have purchased a condo and recently there has been a garbage smell that comes through peridically through our bedroom closet. This closet does share a wall with the garbage chute. When we first bought the condo, there was no sign of this, however; the previous owner has removed some shelving in the closet which has left holes in the drywall which I suspect the smell is coming through. What are the best options to seal these holes, is it wise to use some kind of expanding foam to seal and then putty over it? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use expanding foam, in case there were stuff behind the wall that the foam could move, damaged or dislodge.
I would firstly fill the holes in with dry-wall cement, if the holes are not of a large size. If they are a little bigger tape over then fill.
See if that prevents the smell, if not it maybe worth considering double boarding inside the unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back