Dual Immersion Control switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dual immersion heater (two separate tanks with an immersion in each) control switch, like the MK one it has two switches, one for on/off, and the other to select which immersion to power up.

The switch appears to have stopped working so I want to replace it. If the wiring in the old switch is the same as in the new one, no problem, I can simply replicate it ihn the new switch, but if it is different....so a wiring diagram for the dual immersion switch would be useful, or some description of how it is wired would also help.

I guess that the feeds between the two switches (on/off and immersion select) are already installed in the switch as supplied...but without having one to hand I don't know this either.

can anyone advise?

thanks

John

Sponsored Links
why not get the new switch first?

if its the same make / model it will be the same connections

Thanks for the suggestion, it makes perfect sense, I just didn't want to invest in a new switch not knowing how to install it.

The new switch WON'T be the same as the old one, which is 20 years old and looks as though it was a proprietary make...certainly I can't find anything like it on the net, or in my QVS catalogue.

Dual immersion Heater switches are still made and unlikely to have changed much inside - the internal parts are very simple. They are usually engraved "Sink/Bath" meaning the short or the long element

Get a good brand like Crabtree or MEM.

MK used to be very good but have cheapened their range in recent years.

There is sure to be an Electrical Wholesaler in your town who will have one, though he may be on an industrial estate and not in the High Street.

p.s. I just looked on the QVS website, searched "Immersion Switch" and they have them :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can make one up with a "grid-system" setup, comprising a two slot grid plate, with a 20amp double pole switch, plus a 20amp changeover switch (often labelled as a two way switch), set it up so that the DP switch powers off and on the heater element, and the changeover switch to select the sink or bath element etc.

Check the earth bonding at the same time, as you replace the switch.

You can make one up with a "grid-system" setup, comprising a two slot grid plate, with a 20amp double pole switch, plus a 20amp changeover switch

Or, you could just buy one of these:

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back