Ducting an en suite extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had extension built including new en suite. Sparks installed extractor fan inlet in ceiling, fan itself is in loft above, screwed to wall. Ducting from fan doesn't go anywhere. in other words it just vents into the loft space. Is this a problem? Should the ducting go out through the loft wall?

Sponsored Links
yes the fan should be vented outside, usually through the soffit is the easiest way, personally I would call them back & raise hell & I am surprised the building inspector did not pick that up, they seem to be hot on forced ventilation( in this area anyway)

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. i am going to take it up with the builder and building control because i have since discovered that the family bathroom is just the same, i.e. vented into the loft.

Sponsored Links
You need to get this sorted. Blowing warm damp air from bathrooms into a roofspace that is cold will cause condensation which could lead to serious rotting of the roof timbers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back