Ducting the service pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying a new MDPE service pipe to replace the old lead one, and I have no choice but to pass it under a sewer pipe. I see from the regs that it has to be ducted for 1m either side. What form dose the ducting have to take? Can I simply pass the mdpe through a slightly large pipe?
Thanks
ACDC

Sponsored Links
We laid 3 new MDPE's a kilometre across farmland last year - used the cheapest ducting we could find - water company were OK about it. I don't think they specified the size.

I assume you are both talking about water?

If the pipe is at least 750 mm deep and this will be 300 below the deepest ploughing depth then I dont see any need for any ducting. Why was it required?

Tony

The OP requires ducting due to close proximity to other services.

When laying the pipe it can either be ducted or bedded on soft sand (and then part backfilled with sand).

In my case using sand had its problems eg. transporting several tons across fields where the water table was high can be difficult and damaging (especially if you don't own the land).

There is also the problem of increased spoil and cost of removal.

If ducting can be obtained cheaply (especially offcuts) it can be a viable alternative.

Sponsored Links
Gasguru said:
.....laid 3 new MDPE's a kilometre across farmland last year - used the cheapest ducting we could find ....... ducting can be obtained cheaply (especially offcuts)...
3,000 metres of offcuts! :eek:

So long as you dont go below 1350mm deep is another reg to bear in mind were not miners, not sure about the duct material though?

Cheers

So can I simply pass the 25mm MDPE through another pipe of slightly greatler diameter? Do I need to seal the ends with anything?

Regulation 7.8c shows a ducted pipe running beneath a stream. It mentions using a 75 or 100mm duct to allow removal/replacement of the main. I think this is excessive but it does require the annular gap between duct and pipe to be sealed at each end. Since there is no specific mention of soil pipes I would check with the water company before laying to avoid re-doing.

Your main will also require ducting and sealing as it passes through the house foundation (regulation 7.2). in addition any main passing through a ventillated floor void must also be insulated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back