Ducting/Venting out a Neff Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have ordered a Neff Series 3 Chimney hood D8712. I was hoping to install it on an internal wall and planned to run rigid rectangular ducting along the top of tall wall cupboards and out through an external wall. However our kitchen surveyor has just told us that a Neff hood cannot be ducted out from the side and can only be ducted from the backing wall or off the very top. He mentioned that they cannot cut the top of the hood to provide side access to the ducting kit. So he wants to cut into the kitchen ceiling, run alongside the joists and exit the external wall at the end point near the joists!!!. I am less keen on this solution. The current ducting outlet is approx 125 cm above the worktop and 155 cm to the left of the new Neff extractor. See Pics of current extractor setup We prefer to use Neff, so it will be a shame to change to a different extractor. Please advice

Sponsored Links
I ahd a similar problem getting an AEG to match the existing hole in the wall.

The top part was plastic so a bit of work with saw and glue added a side facing spigot.

Removed the top three inches of the vertical and used that to form the spigot solvent welded into hole cut in the side. Cutting that hole to fit the spigot was difficult due the curved and tapering section.

Then the top of the vertical was closed off with a plate and then capped with a flexible sheet held with tie wraps.

White flexible ducting was then glued to the spigot.

The efficiency of air flow must have been reduced a bit due to the sharp bend just above the fan unit but it still extracts more than enough to cope with cooking.

Why aren't you keen on it running above the ceiling? I had a similar situation where the extractor is on a party wall so I chose to run it above the ceiling. As long as the joists run the right way then I would say go for it.

Why aren't you keen on it running above the ceiling? I had a similar situation where the extractor is on a party wall so I chose to run it above the ceiling. As long as the joists run the right way then I would say go for it.

Extractor ducts can become clogged up with fat deposits and access for cleaning is desirable.

Some people have raised a concern about the extractor blowing flames from a hob fire ( chip pan fire ) above the ceiling and into the void under the floor boards where it may go unoticed for some time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies so far. We are on a party wall, and luckily the joists run in the correct direction. So technically we may be able to run thru. However, I was concerned about would happen if there is a leak in the ducting or any other unintended issues. Also, will need to punch thru the wall where the joists rest - is this a problem?

Finally, i saw a ducting kit on the Neff website. From the looks of it, it looks like something that can sit on top of a very short hood. Does anyone have any experience in using it
http://www.neff-eshop.com/eshop/neff/gb/ducting-kits.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back