Due to extinct technology..Would you have a Media Player

I have two media players. The first was a Creative Zen Nano, bought many years ago and now held together with a cable tie but it still works. :D :D :D Of course the sound quality (LAME level 4) isn't up to CD standard but then neither are its little in-ear phones. In fact LAME is pretty good; the phones are the weakest link. :( :( :(

The second was the confusingly named Creative Zen which I got because it could play video - and one of these days I'll actually get around to converting my DVDs to play on it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But just because I have those devices it doesn't follow that I can dispense with all my CDs and DVDs. Far from it. I'm part way into the process of making backups of every single one - though the abominable adverts and other junk that DVDs force you to watch will be ditched. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The whole point about portable media players is that they are portable. You can stick one in your pocket and use it pretty much anywhere. :cool: :cool: :cool: When I want to put my feet up with a can of Carlsberg Special and watch a movie, I play a DVD (and frequently fall asleep afterwards - or even during :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ). If I want to hear music with all the bass notes present and correct, I play a CD. But I can't drag my quadraphonic sound system outside to play that CD while I mow the lawn!

Sponsored Links
Media players are no longer required, I just stream films from laptop to tv.Or play from a spare hard drive under the tv.

Whats all this guff about digital sound quality. If you're prepared to spend £10.000's have a listening room specially built inc furnishings and soundproofing, another few grand on the best hi fi kit, perfect storage condition for your vinyl/cd's, and you also happen to have perfect hearing, then you could make an argument that digital is crap.

Otherwise you're deluding yourself, I have an MP101 media player and a average hi fi system and all the media is 128 bits, and it all sounds good to me.

But if you want to seriously decrease your wealth this guy is waiting for you with open arms. :)

Whats all this guff about digital sound quality. If you're prepared to spend £10.000's have a listening room specially built inc furnishings and soundproofing, another few grand on the best hi fi kit, perfect storage condition for your vinyl/cd's, and you also happen to have perfect hearing, then you could make an argument that digital is crap.

Otherwise you're deluding yourself, I have an MP101 media player and a average hi fi system and all the media is 128 bits, and it all sounds good to me.

But if you want to seriously decrease your wealth this guy is waiting for you with open arms. :)

Russ Andrews oak cones under your chair legs really does make your breakfast taste better.
Really though fella , I can tell the difference between flac and mp3, mp3 really isnt as nice to listen to.

Sponsored Links

Russ Andrews oak cones under your chair legs really does make your breakfast taste better.
Really though fella , I can tell the difference between flac and mp3, mp3 really isnt as nice to listen to.

I agree..but some might disagree regarding good quality CRT TV vs HD Flatscreen HD...

Because what I see on Flatscreen HD, on a proper HD receiver, is very poor compared to a non HD receiver, good quality CRT. And Plasma TV is even worse, I've people telling me, I've got burn in, or degausing problems, after even 6 months...

A CRT will last for what? 80 years? My old B&O TV has a better picture than most TV's I see. It's a late 70's set, I believe? A virtually new Plasma has burn in issues? Or a LCD has degaussing issues? after less then 5-10 years?

thatbloke said:
I can tell the difference between flac and mp3

Me too. As I said earlier, LAME is pretty good but little artifacts pop up occasionally to remind me that it's not perfect.

Mickymoody said:
Because what I see on Flatscreen HD, on a proper HD receiver, is very poor compared to a non HD receiver, good quality CRT.

Agreed. A good CRT will still outperform a flat screen. Also, not all flat screens are created equal. For a start, some of them suffer from a very restricted viewing angle. Drop your eyes slightly below centre and the image turns negative. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Speed is also said to be an issue, especially among serious games players. I also know somebody whose flat screen TV has an A/V sync problem. The video is always slightly behind the audio and the retailer has told him that there's no way to fix it. The screen is just too slow. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Agreed. A good CRT will still outperform a flat screen. Also, not all flat screens are created equal. For a start, some of them suffer from a very restricted viewing angle. Drop your eyes slightly below centre and the image turns negative. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thought it was just me.

For no other reason than he wanted the latest thing :rolleyes: , my brother replaced his Sony Trinitron CRT with a new flat screen TV.

I now have his old Trinitron as my only TV, and it works perfectly. We both agree that the picture is better on this than his new flat screen.

He's not getting it back either!

Teach you to buy cheap :D

Screen burn is when an image never moves for hours on end, or if gaming and the same background is kept.
Even standard old tv`s (tubes) had this issue with CCTV images.

Thought it was just me.

For no other reason than he wanted the latest thing :rolleyes: , my brother replaced his Sony Trinitron CRT with a new flat screen TV.

I now have his old Trinitron as my only TV, and it works perfectly. We both agree that the picture is better on this than his new flat screen.

He's not getting it back either!

But a Sony is renowned for faulty power switches, or tube magnet heater alignment, so you either get a drop out of one colour, so the screen looks off-colour, or when the magnets devide, blurry screen, some can be sorted by turning up A1 on the Line output transformer.

Alarm - when I worked on ATM's with military spec screens, eventualy they suffered with burn in, so a Lloyds screen, refurb, could not be used in a NWB installation. But they were on 24/7 365 days a year, for many years. I know people that have a plasma screen that has burn in, after 30 minutes, from new, after playing a computer game, or the "5" logo; there is a campaign for TV enthusiasts for the TV channels to have the option to remove these silly logos, but, it seems, technology, once again, has taken a step backwards.

Sponsored Links
Back