Dulux diamond acrylic eggshell problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started painting my bathroom using dulux trade diamond acrylic eggshell in brilliant white. I am experiencing problems when rollering over my cutting in. The paint starts to lift and when I use the brush to try to overcome this it starts to drag the paint. Why is it doing this. This paint cost me £50 for 5litres (daylight robbery, dont they know theres a recession on).I am just going over a wall previously painted with contract matt.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your rolling into your cutting in before its dry and possibly you've put the paint on too thick. I've never heard of any problems applying eggshell over matt.

I always thin dulux trade paints by about 10% ish (not sure exactly as i thin it until it gives me the right feel). This helps the paint flow and you can brush it out nicely without leaving brushmarks. Apply the paint evenly and a little sparingly, allow to dry and then roll upto and very slightly into your cutting in, lay off with the roller by gently back rolling

Must be a big bathroom to need 5 litres! I've just done a room 6 metres by 4 metres in diamond matt (£58!) and had enough left to do a third of it again

Do you mean the matt is lifting?

If not then I am guessing that you are talking about the first coat of eggshell. The second coat should not be a problem as the first will have sealed the wall and should allow the second to flow properly.

Sounds like your rolling into your cutting in before its dry and possibly you've put the paint on too thick. I've never heard of any problems applying eggshell over matt.

I always thin dulux trade paints by about 10% ish (not sure exactly as i thin it until it gives me the right feel). This helps the paint flow and you can brush it out nicely without leaving brushmarks. Apply the paint evenly and a little sparingly, allow to dry and then roll upto and very slightly into your cutting in, lay off with the roller by gently back rolling

Must be a big bathroom to need 5 litres! I've just done a room 6 metres by 4 metres in diamond matt (£58!) and had enough left to do a third of it again

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated. When you say wait for the paint to dry do you mean I should actually wait until the cutting in is dry before I start rollering. The paint takes 3 hours to dry.

Sponsored Links
Its difficult to know what exactly is happening without seeing it but you ask whether the matt is lifting off - this can happen if the matt has been painted directly on to fresh plaster. What seems to happen is that fresh plaster sucks the moisture out of the paint and leaves it sitting on the surface of the plaster where it can be lifted straight off.
Try it for yourself next time you get an opportunity to paint on fresh plaster - paint straight on it, wait for it to dry, then stick a light adhesive, such as a post it note or masking tape, on it. Pull it off and it will bring the paint with it.
The best thing to do with fresh plaster is to water down some paint and lash it on - this helps the paint soak in better and then your subsequent coats will adhere better.

Is that what is happening?

Sorry took so long to come back to you, computers been in for repair. No I know what you mean and its not that. The bathroom was originally painted in a dark terracota vinyl matt. I wanted to go to white but knowing it would take a few coats I put one coat of contract white on first. Then when this was dry I put on a slightly watered down coat of dulux diamond acrylic eggshell on and thats when the problem arose. Do you think it was a mistake to use a contract matt and should I have used a vinyl matt first followed by the expensive diamond top coat.

I have just started painting my bathroom using dulux trade diamond acrylic eggshell in brilliant white. I am experiencing problems when rollering over my cutting in. The paint starts to lift and when I use the brush to try to overcome this it starts to drag the paint. Why is it doing this. This paint cost me £50 for 5litres (daylight robbery, dont they know theres a recession on).I am just going over a wall previously painted with contract matt.

This Is NOT uncommon with the DIAMOND stuff. Whats happening is the the cut in section has formed a SKIN i.e. underneath the skin, the paint is still not set~~ then when you roll, the skin picks up and congeals with the half dry stuff underneath. or something like that ;)
Sometimes It goes on no bother, but nowadays I would make sure all htg off and close out draughts/ windows/doors whilst applying, And just cut in a couple of mtrs then roll as you go. instead of cutting all then rolling.
I also thin as mentioned by others. No problem painting onto matt cantract, as long as diamond stuff is thinned. Same problems can happen with diamond matt.
Sometimes i wonder if this stuff has a short shelf life :unsure:
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back