Dulux Diamond over Dulux Supermatt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am doing up an old house and room by room some have been plaster skimmed and some taped. I have done all rooms so far with 3 coats of supermatt which is designed to go on top of plaster that is still drying. Then I have been using Craig and Rose paints to colour the walls.

So far Im very happy with the reuslts.

Next room on the list is a small washroom with back door. Im concerned this small area will see a fair bit of hand and jackets etc being dragged over walls so the super matt and craig and rose wont stand up to it.

I was thinking of using the Diamond matt.

Can I do a couple of coats of supermatt then the diamond matt or should I use the diamond matt from the start?

This room will probably stay white but if in time I wanted to colour it will there be any issues going over the top of the Diamond paint with a standard matt emulsion?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From a cost perspective i would suggest a standard matt mist coat followed by two coats of the Diamond.

I am not a fan of Supermatt. It does eff all for the suction and the first coat of diamond matt does seem to suck in more than standard matt paints. The second coat is less of an issue and flows ok. You may need a third coat as the colour opacity is not as good as their standard matt.

Johnstones durable is generally considered to be as good as the diamond but a bit cheaper. Mist your tray with water regularly otherwise you will get a skin forming in the tray

I don't see any problems with over painting later down the line, just sand and dust the walls first.

I presume by mist you mean with a little garden hand spray bottle with just water in it?

Sponsored Links
mist coat, though, means the first one or two coats on bare plaster or masonry, where you dilute the emulsion paint with water to help it soak in.

You will normally find the instructions for this on the tin.

You will know when your mist coats have killed the suction, because the wall will no longer suck the moisture off your brush (I mist with a brush not a roller)

I may have muddied the proverbial water by referring to misting with water and mist coats. I think the OP knew the difference though.

JohnD, why do you do more than one mist coat? To date I have always found one to be sufficient. I use full fat over the mist coat. If I find the level of suction to be slightly high I just add floetrol so that I can get an even flow. To date I have never seen emulsion pull off a wall when rolling whilst leaving the initial mist coat behind?

concrete in particular, I find very absorbent and the first mist coat just disappears, so I reapply until that stops.

I painted my washroom on the weekend which has been taped and filled. I found this to be a pain the paint didnt go on anything like as nicely as when I had done the kitchen which was plaster skimmed. Based on your comments Im thinking that moisture deep in the plaster skim has helped to avoid suction when I painted that and the room ive just done would have been a lot dryer and was probably sucking more. I sprayed rollers and brushes with water from a new garden hand spray now an again so none of my brushes dryed out and everything was easily cleaned, I noticed an improvement here.

Im thinking though in hindsight I didnt water down the first coat enough. I did this saturday and recoated sunday. It looks good and is covered well.

Will I have effected the bond of the paint to the plaster board by not watering it down enough to the extent I may see it peel off? Or have I probbaly just used more paint than I would have if I'd watered it down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back