Dulux Trade vs Johnstone Cover Plus?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After all the tips and advice I am now in the final stretch and starting looking around for paint prices at local indept trade places, Wickes, B&Q etc.

I have found B&Q seems to be by far the cheapest place for Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt. Rang a local trade paint shop and they said they don't sell it but do sell Johnstone Cover Plus.

Quandry is this:
10l Dulux Trade Matt White = £35
10l DUlux Trade Matt Brilliant White £43
To mix colours into Dulux Trade Medium Base = £38 (5l)
Mix into Dulux Endurance = £43 (5l) [considering for kitchen]

10l Johnstone Cover Plus Trade White Matt = £25
5l colour-mixed into Johnstone Cover Plus = £27
5l Johnstone Acrylic Matt colour mix (for kitchen) £35

Painter reckons I am going to need around 20l white for the "white room", 10l for the maroon room to be become orchid white and maybe 5l for the kitchen....

Should I just STFU and pay the extra £80 for the Dulux Trade over the Johnstone Cover Plus all round (I prefer Brilliant white over "normal" white") ?

I already have a tub of Leyland Acrylic stuff for the (intended) newly skimmed ceilings...

Sponsored Links
Johnstones is better than Dulux imo, who's name is trash amongst a lot of decs theses days, constantly putting prices up for inferior products.

Are you sure you need 20 litres for one room? thats a lot of paint. Those Johnstones prices are very competitive, my local dec centre want around £35 for 10litres.

With paint type and brand you should get advise from your painter as he will make the best job from the paints he works well with.

Thanks both and fair point.
I have had so long to overthink this that I have started second guessing myself

Sponsored Links
You have all been fantastic to and with me during my many recent threads.
The £25 is a special offer atm apparently from the normal £35.

I did also think that re 20l but I guess it won't go to waste on the kitchen and dining room ceilings

Done.
Johnstone 2 x 10l Matt
Acrylic eggshell colour matched 5l
2.5l trade eggshell white for skirting and rad

Just need to get the dining room paint from b&q (a dulux retail colour they have offer on matt)

Johnstone Coverplus - great.
Johnstone Eggshell - rubbish. It looks exactly like Gloss.

Wife not pleased with the gloss look so will have to look to sand it down and get some dulux satinwood and hope that works

It takes a few weeks for the shine to decline. Satinwood is a GLOSSIER finish than aged eggshell. Just leave it a few weeks and it'll look great.

I believe (could be wrong) that the sheen level is 30% with Jonnos. You get what you pay for really as the lower the sheen the more expensive it tends to be. Little green i know is 20% which is a much more satisfactory level for a traditional eggshell finish.
I didn't realise you were going to eggshell the trim otherwise i would have steered you in LG's direction and i think opps would definately have put you off the Johnstones!

In truth I wasn't.
I was planning to Satinwood the trim (wife wanted to matt it) but the paint shop person recommended the oil based eggshell instead as I am sure I mentioned painting the Rad as well as the trim.

As we now have to wait a couple of weeks before any more painting can be done (for the ceilings in the other rooms to be skimmed and dried) we will see how much shine fade there is.
If it is still too shiny can the eggshell be overpainted with the Matt?

Didn't understand the "get what you pay for" as all the 2.5l trim paints all seemed to cost the same (~£20)?

It's not shiny at all, I used some a few weeks back.

Price wise i'm talking about different manufacturers 2.5 litres of little green acrylic eggshell is now around £48, it is a superior paint to the Johnstones eggshell but not sure it always justifies the expense. They don't do a white, only an off white but paint and paper do and its made by LG. The sheen will reduce but not as much as the better quality paints because of the pigment grinding process, coarser ground pigments with a higher proportion of film former scatters the light which gives a far less glossy appearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back