Dumb question of the year - how long is a bleed screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mother-in-law has a problem which I entered on another post.
While I was looking at her pipework (the house, not her personally) I noticed one of the radiators is a double panel one where the front panel gets nicely hot but the rear panel stays cold. Each panel has its own bleeds screw. Front one bleeds OK - no air, just water. I tried to bleed the rear one but seemed to be turning the bleed screw a helluva long way and getting nothing out - neither air nor water. It's not the end of the world - the radiator is in a spare bedroom and gets plenty hot enough anyway. But it got me wondering - how long is the thread on an average bleedscrew - how far can I turn it before it pops out? Well, I did warn you in teh subject that it was a dumb question.

Sponsored Links
isolate radiator,remove bleed screw,poke thin wire into orifice,listen for air ,replace screw ,open valves and test operation.
different rads have different size vents most are about 5/10mm long.

there useally only a few mm long the thread.

you may find its blocked with a bit of crud.
if you shut both rad valves and hold a container under the bleed valve then you can remove it and clean it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back