Dust control equipment hire - house renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a ceiling removed in an old victorian house, as well as other refurb work done (new bathrooms), lots of tiling, general decoration, ceiling repairs etc. etc. 3 months worth and I'll be living in the property but I'm very sensitive to dust - eye and lung issues. The contractor will build a timber wall and try and secure any gaps in the rooms being worked on. i'll also tape up and seal bedrooms and living spaces as much as i can.

Inevitably, doors will need to be open for access to bring out debris and bring in materials and fine dust will spread.

I don't mind paying to hire some heavy duty equipment but i don't know what will actually work. Can anyone offer any real experience? i see powerful air blowers with ducts i could use to expel dusty air into my garden; i see mobile air scrubbers with filters.

what would work best on site?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Only from a DIY perspective - when I took down my lath and plaster ceilings; first I used an industrial vac to clean up everything in the loft.
Then to take down the ceiling, I taped up the door and used a ducted fan blowing out the window.
Dust intrusion into the rest of the house was minimal.
You may also need to temporarily disable any smoke alarms!

Why not ask your contractors use tools connected to dust extractors?

I am a decorator. All of my electric sanders (and some of my hand sanders) are connected to dust extractors. Dust extractors are purpose built vacuums that trap the dust generated when sanding.

My saws are connected to dust extractors, as are my wall chaser and one of my tile cutting angle grinders. In fact most tiling can be done with little dust if required, using a combination of wet tile cutters and score 'n' snap machines.

Dropping a victorian lath and plaster ceiling will be messy, but the dust needn't persist for long.

Only from a DIY perspective - when I took down my lath and plaster ceilings; first I used an industrial vac to clean up everything in the loft.
Then to take down the ceiling, I taped up the door and used a ducted fan blowing out the window.

I worked in a victorian house a few years ago that was having an attic conversion.

The builders created false plywood ceilings 6 or so inches below the existing lath and plaster ceiling. They then punched down the ceilings from the loft. There were no obvious signs of dust in the bedrooms. They bagged up the mess and carried it down the scaffolding. They then vacuumed the dust up.

The false ceiling remained in place until they had run all of the pipes/etc and the new flooring.

It was impressive.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, my ceiling is the same. I'm worried about the mess. I have been looking at the ducted fans - I was thinking of a 12" 3600m3/hr. which seems pretty powerful. what did you use? i don't mind paying for that if it will help. If i duct this out the window, do i need to seal up the window too, to create negative air pressure etc? youtube seems to show it all blowing back in if you don't

Why not ask your contractors use tools connected to dust extractors?

I am a decorator. All of my electric sanders (and some of my hand sanders) are connected to dust extractors. Dust extractors are purpose built vacuums that trap the dust generated when sanding.

My saws are connected to dust extractors, as are my wall chaser and one of my tile cutting angle grinders. In fact most tiling can be done with little dust if required, using a combination of wet tile cutters and score 'n' snap machines.

Dropping a victorian lath and plaster ceiling will be messy, but the dust needn't persist for long.

Thanks. I will do - bit i'd expect them to take all tiles and wood outside if they're cutting or sawing etc?

Thank you, my ceiling is the same. I'm worried about the mess. I have been looking at the ducted fans - I was thinking of a 12" 3600m3/hr. which seems pretty powerful. what did you use? i don't mind paying for that if it will help. If i duct this out the window, do i need to seal up the window too, to create negative air pressure etc? youtube seems to show it all blowing back in if you don't

Thanks. I will do - bit i'd expect them to take all tiles and wood outside if they're cutting or sawing etc?
Have you spoken with them about this yet?

Have you spoken with them about this yet?
I have about the dust being vented out. but i suspect when it comes to it, it won't be followed precisely and doors will open spreading **** all over the place. haven't asked about cutting / sanding outside yet. Do you think i'm asking something unreasonable?

Even if it is raining?

They may work on the assumption that they can be as messy as they want because they have built a partition.

Even if it is raining?

They may work on the assumption that they can be as messy as they want because they have built a partition.
good point. i'll ask about tools and dust extractors.

How can they seal up a door and work in there, they'll need access to their tools/van/go outside for breaks, cutting up materials etc this doesn't sound thought out at all.

I have about the dust being vented out. but i suspect when it comes to it, it won't be followed precisely and doors will open spreading **** all over the place. haven't asked about cutting / sanding outside yet. Do you think i'm asking something unreasonable?

Using tools connected to dust extractors- the tools may be more expensive. They will need more than one dust extractor, the amount depending on the number of staff. You also have to factor in the cost of the bags. The bags for my Festool extractors cost up to £7 each for a 22L bag.

I think you should have had this conversation with them from the outset. I am not criticising you, it wasn't something that you were aware of but it will/may be an added cost to them.

I guess that you could offer to pay for a vented extractor to suck the dust from the work area out of a window.

How can they seal up a door and work in there, they'll need access to their tools/van/go outside for breaks, cutting up materials etc this doesn't sound thought out at all.
It's at one end of the house and they'll build a frame with a door to partition that section off, seal the gaps. but inevitably yes, the door will open for breaks and access. How else can it be done?

Using tools connected to dust extractors- the tools may be more expensive. They will need more than one dust extractor, the amount depending on the number of staff. You also have to factor in the cost of the bags. The bags for my Festool extractors cost up to £7 each for a 22L bag.

I think you should have had this conversation with them from the outset. I am not criticising you, it wasn't something that you were aware of but it will/may be an added cost to them.
You're right, that's why I'm asking for input here so I can have the conversation now before they begin. If it's reasonable for me to ask and for me to pay the cost (if not already included in their quote) then that's fine and that's what I've learnt. If it's standard for them to include all this and have the tools available then that would also help to know. Ultimately I guess I have to ask and understand. But this has at least taught me what I'm asking!

Rewiring an old house involved removing the surface mounted boxes and conduit and chasing into the red brick walls.

A 12 inch industrial fan fitted to a sheet of plywood that fitted in place of a window. Dust blown out and onto the lawn, negative pressure in the room prevented dust getting out of the room via the doors, closed but no requirement to seal the gaps around the door.

Only downside was the lawn had a large patch that was red for several months,

( no neighbours were inconvenienced )

Rewiring an old house involved removing the surface mounted boxes and conduit and chasing into the red brick walls.

A 12 inch industrial fan fitted to a sheet of plywood that fitted in place of a window. Dust blown out and onto the lawn, negative pressure in the room prevented dust getting out of the room via the doors, closed but no requirement to seal the gaps around the door.

Only downside was the lawn had a large patch that was red for several months,

( no neighbours were inconvenienced )
So is this just a square / box fan? Would that be better than a ducted fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back