Dustless Sanding Asbestos Artex Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a crazy idea that I think may just work if it's done safely & correctly, if a dustless sander was hooked to a vacuum and FPP3 masks were worn with good ventilation could white crystal asbestos Artex ceiling be sanded down? It's either this or having the ceilings bonded & skimmed which is messy and expensive...

Sponsored Links
Rather you than me.
You’d need at least a class H vacuum and have to clean every inch afterwards.
You’re creating a massive amount of dust.

you might get away with a steam stripper which makes the whole thing damp and it peeling off.

Yeh I guess! I heard the white crystalline is the less harmful out of the types plus dustless sanders remove 90-95% of the sanded material? Surely it can't be that dangerous if approached in the right way?

Sponsored Links
feel-lucky-punk-.jpg

Not everyone who is exposed to asbestos will get mesothelioma, just the same as not everyone who smokes will get lung cancer. But, as with smoking, why do it, especially as there are safer alternatives (vaping for example :D)

I've had a lot of success with the artex removal gel on a few walls.

Just have to be patient.

For a ceiling however, I would save up and overboard and skim

I've had a lot of success with the artex removal gel on a few walls.

Just have to be patient.

For a ceiling however, I would save up and overboard and skim

Just wanted to add that I used the gel too, even on ceilings. It was still hard work but the gel turned what would have been a horrific job into something merely very unpleasant. It's expensive but my ceilings are relatively low so I didn't want to lose height by boarding. I did get the artex tested for asbestos and it came back clear so was reassured on that front. You should still wear a mask of course. Score the artex the day before and roller on diluted gel to get it working. Do a section at a time without around 45 mins for the gel to take effect. On the thinner parts diluted gel actually does the trick (saves money and fast to apply with a roller). Clear up regularly- the gel will make it sticky and if you tread in it then you'll get it all over the house. Something like https://www.toolstation.com/prep-heavy-duty-scraper/p29412 for the main parts and a smaller scraper for detail work.

Finishing stretch of the lounge.
upload_2021-12-31_17-28-18.png

Still got the bathroom to do but was happy to get the rest of the house done. The walls are still in their scraped state (just PVAd to seal them)- I prefer that to the artex.

It amazes me that some people actually liked artex and some still do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back