Dye from red napkin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wiped a spill off my light blue cotton shirt with a red paper napkin and the red dye from the napkin transferred to my shirt. The waiter gave me some soda which took most of it off, but not all. When I got home I washed it in hot water with bleach, but that did not remove it. Unfortunately I put it in the dryer also. I've now tried Zout and also rubbing alcohol with no luck. Going to try hairspray next. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I know your thread was a year and a half ago, but I think that it's important to share what I've found. I had a black cocktail napkin stain on an expensive shirt from attempting to wipe out another minor stain at a wedding. The black stain was almost 2 inches long and substantial. Had it drycleaned, barely improved things. I was about to throw it away, but I decided to try hydrogen peroxide -- WOW. It vanished IMMEDIATELY and a small black border was formed. I immediately rinsed thoroughly in water and then soaked this part of the shirt in more hydrogen peroxide, washed it normally, and the stain was gone. I don't recommend this with dyed shirts and I would test first. Hydrogen peroxide also worked for me with blood. You have to soak it in hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes and use a bristle brush and repeat until it's gon. Hope this helps.
b2006

that will be because hydrogen peroxide is a bleach :rolleyes:

you could have at least written your own post rather than hi-jacking an old one :rolleyes:

The shirt was blue. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer. Just thought I'd help out the next poor sap that looks up a solution to this problem. My posting added a piece of useful knowledge for the layperson, which apparently you are. Your response was of no value. At least you could have posted your own instead of stealing this one.

Sponsored Links
but if you had read the forum rules you would have known that hi jacking posts is not allowed (forum rule 20)

(lets disagree on the oxidiser, since chlorine (the active ingreadiant is an oxidiser, its just more powerful than hydrogen peroxide)

(froum rule 20)
20) Do not hi-jack posts

(Hi jacking, is adding your question to a post you did not start, it causes confusion)

Moderators will try and split a post when ever possible.

Bleach / Oxidising agent, same thing really. You would be unwise to attempt to purchase hydrogen peroxide in the UK, unless you want unwelcome attention from MI5.

Hydrogen peroxide is a key ingredient in the manufacture of crude explosives, and as such it's sale has been severely restricted in the UK post 7/7/2005 FWIW I was on a tube (kings cross) when the bombs went off, always felt since then that I was lucky that day.

Mind you I saw a 1 ton sack of ammonium nitrate discarded at the side of the road the other day, I shudder to think what you could do with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back