E-Mail Account

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyway i can set up an e-mail account on my lap top using the same account as my P.C.?

Sponsored Links
Yes :D
Should be fairly straightforward. Couple of options:

1. Does your ISP enable you to log on to view your email via the web? If so might be the easiest option

2. If you use Outlook on your PC and have the same on your laptop you can copy the account settings e.g.
On PC
Open Outlook
Goto Tools / Email Accounts. Select View or Change email
Click Change and note all settings (DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING)
Make a note of each setting then exit Outlook

On laptop do the same this time go to Add account and carefully copy all the information above to laptop. Click on test button to check all ok

Thanks Tony tried that but does not work error message reads cannot locate server etc.....

The host 'pop.3.lineone.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.3.lineone.net', Server: 'pop.3.lineone.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Sponsored Links
If the information entered correctly then this could be a firewall issue. I know that Zone Alarm Pro for instance can cause this effect. Try again with firewall disabled to see if this changes the situation.

EDIT: Of course it could be just that server down or temporarily unavailable. Did you check that you can send and receive on your PC at the same time?

you have entered your host server as
pop.3.lineone.net

Check again because it could probably be something like
pop.lineone.net

Looks like Dave has spotted it. Think your settings should be:

Lineone Settings
login [email protected]
incoming email (POP3) pop3.lineone.net (Note: Not pop.3.lineone)
outgoing email (SMTP) smtp.lineone.net
FTP server ftp.myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Webspace address http://website.lineone.net/~username
Usenet news.lineone.net

ps. I am pretty sure that if you go to your ISP web page you should be able to login using your username and password to read and send mails

Dave and Tony thankyou very much for your help.IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Baxmax

Baxmax,
Pleased you got it sorted.

Tony,
On the server Tab on my OE account it shows
Incoming mail server is a POP3 server.
Incoming mail (POP3): pop.orangehome.co.uk
The '3' after pop is not showing in the address line and the
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.orangehome.co.uk

I think it only displays the 3 when showing the server type as POP3.

dave

Glad you got it sorted too.

Dave,
Yes my settings same (same ISP as you) in Outlook. After you spotted the error did a quick check on Lineone settings and copied to post.

Baxmax,

I think it only displays the 3 when showing the server type as POP3.

dave

Not so. Using an example of "pop.someisp.com" the pop part of it is what is called a host name (The rest being the domain name. Put them all together and you get the Fully Qualified Domain Name FQDN). It could be anything. POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol 3 which is the current standard for what is known as POP mail which is a mail account where you download the mail from a remote server to your PC. There is also IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) Another common way of accessing email which accesses your email server directly using a mail client such as OUtlook Express of Thunderbird but leaves yuor emails on the server. The name of your POP server depends on your ISP. It is simply a name that gets resolved to a numeric IP address.

Sponsored Links
Back