Early 1970s Plug wiring - Two Core?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given a late 1960s turntable and the wires are red and black, there is no Earth wire, can any kind person tell me which wire goes to which as there is no plug, ie, which wire is live and which is neutral , Red or Black thanks

Sponsored Links
The red is the live (to the fuse side of a 13amp plug) and the black is the neutral. If it's original 2-core cable then it doesn't need an earth.

Sponsored Links
It'll probably be imperial.

Assuming it's a minimum of 14/.0076, 3A is fine.

Get your micrometer out now!!

This is all based on the assumption that the record deck actually runs on the mains directly.

BANG!
:LOL:

That's a good point: I guess we're assuming that this is a "regular" turntable of the era, and not one of the little portable units which was designed for battery operation. Even if that isn't the case, then although unlikely if it was last used within the U.K., if the origin is unknown it's also worth checking that the motor straps have not been set internally for 110-127V operation.

Another point not yet mentioned is the question of how safe (by 2011 standards) this turntable will be without an 'earth' connection - 1960s products were not known for 'double insulation', not to mention the fact that some had metalwork connected to one side of the incoming power (hopefully neutral, but ....:))

Kind Regards, John.

The turntable is caled a transcriptor Saturn made in the UK around 1972, last used in the mid 1970's. There isn't that much information on this piece on the internet, at least I cannot find any instructuon manuals as such. Although apparently the son of the original designer is manufacturing and selling similar models with a more modern design and by the looks mega money.

Someone gave you one?

Were they feeling particularly generous, or did they have no idea what it's worth?

Has it got an arm?

Can you afford one now?
Possibly, but priorites for spending what money I possess have changed over the decades!

However, getting back to the point I raised earlier, if the OP's one is anything like that, would you be happy with the combination of all that exposed metal, a 60s/70s design and a two-core power cable?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back