Early MOT test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to have an MOT test before the due date.
This would enable me to choose a repairer if a fault is found.
Is this possible and, if so, how long before the due date can I take the test.
iI I do this early does it alter the due date of next years test.
Finally, is it OK for me to drive the "failed" car from the tester to another garage if it needs repairing.

Sponsored Links
a month -
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.
to preserve the date , i always plan MOT at least 2 -3 weeks before - assuming if somethign is faulty , they can get the part and fix - although I know my son has waited 4 months for BMW part on his brand new company car!!!

otherwise you can have an MOT whenever you like - but it will only be for a year

Last edited:
Pretty sure 2 weeks early will preserve the due date next year.

Sponsored Links
there was a time a few years ago, when if it failed , you were NOT allowed to drive regardless of the fault and you OLD MOT was NOT valid - that was the wording on the SITE
there was a lot of talk/partitions about it - I think I emailed or get involved somehow - as that was ridiculous... plus it now automatically goes onto the database - infact my last MOT in march was live the same day.
we have a MOT/TAX camera on our way back from MOT tester - so this was potentially an issue

I know they changed the wording within about 6 weeks ......

cant remember the exact details - BUT along the lines of your OLD MOT was no longer valid , and as you failed , you could not use at all .....

there was a time a few years ago, when if it failed , you were NOT allowed to drive regardless of the fault and you OLD MOT was NOT valid - that was the wording on the SITE
there was a lot of talk/partitions about it - I think I emailed or get involved somehow - as that was ridiculous... plus it now automatically goes onto the database - infact my last MOT in march was live the same day.
we have a MOT/TAX camera on our way back from MOT tester - so this was potentially an issue

I know they changed the wording within about 6 weeks ......

cant remember the exact details - BUT along the lines of your OLD MOT was no longer valid , and as you failed , you could not use at all .....
Myth I’m afraid. An mot pass certificate CANNOT be invalidated unless it was issued fraudulently.,

yep, that was part of the complaints email - BUT the governemt website - said it was NOT valid and that was the controversy, around 2016/17 -
But i wont be able to prove thats what was on the site - BUT i did read it and as I say got involved - to get the wording changed on the site ... for exactly the reason you say

That has never been the case, and MOT has always been valid, until it expires. Driving a dangerous vehicle on the road, has always been illegal, whether or no it has a valid MOT.

Well, it was on the government site and I got involved with getting the wording changed
I wont say anymore as it will just get into a flame - and it does not really matter , as its been fixed on the website wording ........

I always plan to get it done a month before, but never actually do - normally get round to it the week before, must have the luck of the Irish as I've always managed to get any failures fixed and through before the expiry. On a recent one I had a "dangerous", it was a back tyre with a bit of carcass damage, I drove it to the tyre place down the road and got it changed - with hindsight I should have put the spare on then and there but driving carefully I think the worst I could have had was a flat tyre or a hefty fine!

I know it won't happen again but when we had the 6 month extension it ended the second it failed.

Sponsored Links
Back