Eart bonding pipes - lead to plastic to copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen to bond where the pipes on entry are lead for no moref than a metre. They then lead to a couple of metres of plastic piping before moving to copper up to the sink.

What is the earthing requirement for this?

Sponsored Links
How familiar are you with BS7671.

Do a search for bonding re kitchens etc..

There is no requirement as far as the regs go for supplementary bonding in the kitchen.

BUT: make sure the main water and gas have a minimum of 10mm² each going back to the MET.

Sorry. Maybe I didn't clarify enough.
Main incoming is the initial 1 metre lead bit.

BS7671 if I am correct asks for bonding as near as possible to the point of entry and within 600mm of the service meter or point of entry.
I also read "there is no requirement to main bond an incoming service where both the incoming supply and pipework within the installation are plastic." (I paraphrase)
Hence there is no mains to bond in effect.

Obviously I am between a rock and a hard place , or between a hard and a soft pipe.

I understand the lack of requirement in the regs for supplementary bonding in kitchens but question that there is no bonding at all on the water system.
As the incoming goes from lead to plastic to copper within a couple of metres of entry do I add supplementary bonding after the plastic to be on the safe side?

Am I mis-reading my guidelines?

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber by any means, but I would question the suitability of lead as a water pipe in any case.
Re bonding, is the system metal piped around the house or plastic?

The system to the rest of the property is copper.

It's a very old property BAS and the incoming supply has never been converted from lead.

phoenix said:
also new regs say bathroom rad must also be earthed. if you do this you then need the first piec of copper doing on the main by either an earth stake or in your case you can use the lead incoming main.

please note 7 which is here

who told you that?

phoenix said:
as for the earthing issue, you must earth the copper side of your system, hot and cold pipes to taps to each other nearest to tapes as reasonable, all taps, also new regs say bathroom rad must also be earthed. if you do this you then need the first piec of copper doing on the main by either an earth stake or in your case you can use the lead incoming main.
A less than complete grasp of the requirements for main and supplementary equipotential bonding, I'm afraid..

phoenix said:
i work for the local goverment and we get the updates and regs we have to follow like earthing the rads, it was just a quick statment you dont seriously want me to wright all the earthing regs word for word
No, but I'd like you to understand them, and implement them properly.

Firstly, supplementary equipotential bonding is not the same as earthing, and if you don't understand the difference then you shouldn't be doing it.

Secondly, blindly "earthing the rads" without a thought as to whether they really are extraneous-conductive-parts can make things more dangerous, not less.

Thirdly, if you are going to give advice to people on electrics then quick, and incomplete or inaccurate statements are a very bad idea.

Are you personally registered as a competent person with respect to self-certifying compliance with the Building Regulations? If not, in the electrical work that you do for the council do you work under the direction of a Qualified Supervisor who is?

Guys I'm sorry but no-one has really answered my question.

I repeat -
"I understand the lack of requirement in the regs for supplementary bonding in kitchens but question that there is no bonding at all on the water system.
As the incoming goes from lead to plastic to copper within a couple of metres of entry do I add supplementary bonding after the plastic to be on the safe side?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back