Eart bonding pipes - lead to plastic to copper

Nijinski001 said:
Guys I'm sorry but no-one has really answered my question.

I repeat -
"I understand the lack of requirement in the regs for supplementary bonding in kitchens but question that there is no bonding at all on the water system.
As the incoming goes from lead to plastic to copper within a couple of metres of entry do I add supplementary bonding after the plastic to be on the safe side?"

Where the transition from plastic is to copper, you need a main equipotential bond connected between copper pipework and the MET (main earth terminal), size of cable depending on the type of supply TT, TN-S, TN-CS. It is arguable to also bond the lead pipe, although you really should be thinking of having this replaced with plastic, sooner rather than later as it is almost inevitably causing poisoning.
You may also consider getting an electrician in to do a PIR (periodic inspection report) as there may be more issues with other main equipotential bonds and supplementary bonding.

Sponsored Links
If the entire water system in the house is isolated from the incoming supply by 2m of plastic pipe, i.e. 230kohms for 15mm or 130kohms for 20mm pipe, then I'd not bond after the plastic.

Is there a low-resistance path to earth via the CH boiler and the gas pipe?

Spark123 said:
Where the transition from plastic is to copper, you need a main equipotential bond connected between copper pipework and the MET
Why?

What's it for?

Under the same argument, if a water supply enters a house in blue plastic pipe and then terminates into copper pipe, why do we need a main eq bond there?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back