earth and natural 240v

Z

zorbas40

Hi all,
started to replace the seating room light and i took the cables mark them and try the new light but nothing come (found later is becouse the new light fiting did not have earth conection).....later taking meter reading i found out that the earth and live is 240v the earth and natural is 0v and natural and live 240v Is this normal? I took all the earth wires off and tested one by one and out of the 4 one with the earth wire with the live gives me 240v the others not , Have check all the other lights and i can not see anything wrong.... am just worry if thats is not ok
PS all lights are working on and off fine
Kind Regards and thank you for your help

Sponsored Links
E-L = 240 is correct, as is L-N = 240 and N-E = 0. Your light doesn't need an earth to work (just to be safe when it does work), so whatever your wiring problem it isn't anything you've described.

PJ

Thank you for your time it is just makes me question how come only one of the earth wires with the live gives me 240v and the others not

Thank you for your time it is just makes me question how come only one of the earth wires with the live gives me 240v and the others not

A light circuit has 1 cable from the fuse board, and this is through connected from ceiling rose to ceiling rose.

So the earth tested that gave 240v LE was from the CU or ceiling rose nearer the CU and the one that gave 0 V LE is an onward connection.

Make sure you join the earths together.

Sponsored Links
So i will put everything back as it was, It seems all is normal after your answers and thank you for your time

Hmm.

As said, what you describe with voltage readings could be perfectly to be expected.

But I'm still concerned about this:
i took the cables mark them and try the new light but nothing come (found later is becouse the new light fiting did not have earth conection)

Were all of the earths connected together? None in a separate connector block?

Do you have 2-way switches for that light?

ALL the earths were together and yes it is a 2 way light switch None in a separate connector but i took it apart and test all now they are as i found them and all lights work normal like before....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back