Earth Bonding in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

Bathroom is a widdler - maybe 2.5m * 3 or summat. Walls and floor are marble tiled. One light pull switch also turns extractor fan on and off. Central ceiling light flagrantly violates zoning regs and will replace with this asap:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101726&ts=78256&id=21822
(...no part P please...)

While I hope in the not too distant future - couple months? - to finally spur in the illusive electric towel rail for some mould counteraction in the summer, there's currently no power points other than the light.

Having just fitted a new thermostat shower, I'm pretty sure nothing is earth bonded.

When did this become a requirement? If the light is ok and earthed then I can forget about that and the extractor should be double insulated.

That leaves the rad, sink, bath, shower, bath taps and pipes. What do I need to do?

Any comments much appreciated chaps.

:)

Sponsored Links
No you can't ignore the light just because its supplied with an earth.
Run 4mm cable from shower cpc to lighting cpc.
Plenty of diagrams in the ref section on what should be bonded.

Never assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME

Sorry I wasn't clear the shower is not electric. To run a cable from the light I'd have to take down the ceiling: sucks!

In response to your 1st post, I believe it became a requirement in 2001.

Sponsored Links
You need to bond all extraneous conductive parts to each other and to the cpc's of electrical eqipment in Z's 1, 2 & 3: assuming that the bathroom is fed by copper, and not plastic.

Opinion is divided as to exactly how: some say use crimp rings to attach the cable to the clamps. My money is on stripping back a small area of insulation, leaving the conductor continuous, and the wrap round the terminal screw on the clamp.

Most electrical reference books you look in will give diagrams showing examples of what should be bonded. And there is lots of info on this site - bathroom bonding has been to death and back several times over...

Don't forget to include: rad pipes, water pipes, gas pipes (I have seen these in a bathroom) accessible metal structural parts of the building (metal architraves, door frames, window frames etc are not considered ecp's unless connected to metallic structural parts of the building), metal baths and shower basins.

You can carry out bonding in close proximity to the bathroom, ie in an accessible floor void, airing cupboard etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back