Earth Bonding Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Corgi man tells me that I must install an earth bond between the output pipe of my gas meter and the earth block in my fusebox.
Could someone tell me what type of wire I should use (6mm or 10mm) ?
Also, if I buy a kit, where is the best place to buy from ?
Thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
You'll be needing 10mm.

Use a BS951 earthing clamp. The bond needs to be within 600mm from the meter on your side of it. DO NOT bond to the lead gas meter tail, or the stainless one for that matter (depending on how your setup is).

You'd be wise to check for bonding on your water supply to, same principles apply, and as long as you do not break the cable (just bare the copper) you can use the same wire you used for your gas.

Be carefull when working inside the consumer unit though. Happy bonding!

Thinking about it, the gas man should really have done this for you!

I love arguing with plumbers over who's responsability bonding is.

Thanks Click-Sure.
The Corgi man did not fail me on the Gas Safety check, but just advised me as to things I should do.
By the way, where's the best place to buy a kit for doing this ?

Sponsored Links
Any electrical wholesalers will stock what you need, but not all of them will sell short lengths of cable. B&Q and the like normally stock that sort of stuff too.

Expect to pay no more than £0.75 each for earth clamps, don't use 'speedie clamps' beacuse they're s**t

And for cut to length 10mm2 earth cable (6491X) say around £0.75 a metre.

Thanks Click-Sure.
The Corgi man did not fail me on the Gas Safety check, but just advised me as to things I should do.
By the way, where's the best place to buy a kit for doing this ?
May noy be the cheapest, a b+q warehouse or wickes may help.
You need to measure first to nearest metre length
B+q will proberly have cut lengths maybe 5 metres min

An electrical wholesaler may help , but might not cut the cable for you and try to sell you 50 metres

You can also buy online somewhere like TLC

The clamps are diff sizes so measure the circumferance of the pipe
I think they come 6in 9in and 12in
There are also wet and dry and all condition clamps
( colour coded )
The all condition or wet condition is best as they do not corrode so much if exposed to damp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back