Earth bonding to consumer unit

We have not heard about any other pipes.
Any others may be correctly bonded and now have the shower pipe joined to them.

This pipe could even be isolated.

Has the shower any exposed-conductive-parts, not to mention simultaneously accessible extraneous-c-ps?

Stock 15th edition (bond everything) answers have been given with no details of the installation.

Sponsored Links
We have not heard about any other pipes. Any others may be correctly bonded and now have the shower pipe joined to them.
True and true. However, there are presumably going to be at least taps - although, as you say, even they could be isolated.
Stock 15th edition (bond everything) answers have been given with no details of the installation.
To be fair to myself ( :) ), I have repeatedly pointed out that, regardless of previous regulations, under current regulations it could well be that there is no requirement for any supplementary bonding - and I also agree with you that, even if there is a theoretical requirement, it could be that there is nothing to actually bond (i.e. no extraneous c-ps)!

So, if I'm not mistaken, I think that we are probably totally agreed?

Kind Regards, John

This shower was put in 11 or 12 years ago I don't recall seeing any other bonding but I can't say properly as I wouldn't have been looking for it at the time. The pipe is the cold water feed to the shower it was taken from the existing sinks cold water pipe. The pipe isn't visible other than the connection to the sink cold water pipe which if I recall was about 2 feet of pipe but I can't quite remember.

Just to further try to describe the pipework a bit more the shower is above one end of the bath and the sink is at the other end of the bath. The pipe is within the wall by the shower and is hidden by the bath panels and comes out at skirting level and i think connected via t piece to the sink cold water pipe.
Thanks again guys for all your help I am so worried about this

Sponsored Links
You have no need to worry.

Firstly - are there RCDs in the consumer unit protecting the shower circuit?

Back to bonding.

It is not a case of saying "A pipe needs bonding because it is a pipe or because it is metal".
It depends on several other conditions.

That your shower pipe is connected to the sink pipe (not bath?) which will be connected to the bath pipe means that - if the existing pipes were correctly bonded or not (as the situation required) then your new shower pipe would have become the same.

There are no touchable parts of the shower which may become live in the event of a fault.
(Someone will say it may be a metal can and a metal hose but this is not likely.)
What other electrics are in the bathroom? Just the light and maybe a fan - all plastic?

There is just a chance that your bonding cable to the consumer unit may have introduced a hazard, but only IF none of the other pipes is connected to earth anywhere - but this is extremely unlikely to be the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back