Earth clamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin' all,

Quick question re earth clamps.

When attaching the clamps, how do you do it?

I should be a bit more specific. Specifically, I'm talking about where you actually attach the safety notice tag. I've been attaching the tag to the clamp screw, between the screw head and the locking nut so it's left free to move if knocked.

However, a neighbours house has the tags attached to the clamp screw, but between the actual clamp and the locking nut. This leaves the tag fixed in one position which I think leaves it prone to damage.

I've also seen one installation where the tag was attached to the cable clamp screw, between screw head and washer.

Is there a right way and a wrong way or is it just a matter of personal preference?

The LABC didn't make any mention of it on their last inspection.

Regards

Fred.

Sponsored Links
Have always put it under the clamp screw with the tag covering the screw with the earth cable on it. that way anyone removing the safety earth HAS to read the warning!

I too put it between the clamp body and the lock nut, sometimes over the connection, other times depending on location I orient it so its horizontal (ie. normal reading orientation)

I don't like leaving it hanging loose, makes it look like someone forgot to tighten something

Sponsored Links
I've always slid it onto the strap before fixing to pipe so that it sticks out like a flag & can't be missed

me too, that's what the slots are for, surely

Aparrently the slots are only for aiding in packing and storing!!
The tag should be secured by the nut on the clamp through the hole.

Wow! i didn't know that :oops:

If you're sure that's right, I'll use the nut in future and have them (where you can read the text) like flags.

I would have thought there was more chance of them being pulled off or torn when tightening the nut that way, is it a reg to fit them thus?

It is Snag 9 in the earthing snags and solutions handbook from the NICEIC.
Should look something like this:
dsc00025ok5.jpg

(Just threw it together in my garage!!)
Maybe shouldn't have left the pipe strap sticking out!
Solution also says:
Alternatively the insultated protective conductor should be threaded through the round hole in the label in such a way that there is no contact between the label and any other metals. Then goes on about where the conductor is too large for the hole.

Supplementary bonding of Vice? Is that required as well now ;)

It would be a lot of work for me, as I have many vices.

I was taught that putting the tag under the nut was wrong as there was the possibility of the tag being knocked and giving leverage to the nut being undone!

Possibly, though the NIC book gives the reason for doing it this way is to avoid the aluminium warning label being installed in contact with a disimilar metal.
I'm looking at it and thinking if I just pushed the tag it down it would be in contact with the pipe, though it possibly wouldn't effect the electrical connection area??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back