Earth continuity options through plastic isolator?

Sponsored Links
If I am 'labouring' on a job I wouldn't expect my name to appear on the cert, even if I wire a CU.
I don't think it would necessarily need to, IF you were 'being supervised' by someone (competent) who was going to sign for (and 'take responsibility' for) 'the construction'. However, if you were re-wiring the CU 'on your own', without any oversight, then I don't think that, strictly speaking, anyone but you could sign for 'the construction'.

I am, of course, talking about 'how it should be', and don't imagine that it is anything like a 'universal practice' :)

In totally different fields, I frequently 'sign for' work that I have 'overseen' but not necessarily done. However, if I signed for something without having in any way 'supervised it' (i.e. 'rubber stamping') I could be in very deep trouble, particularly if anything 'went wrong' as a result of the work that I had 'taken responsibility for', even though I'd had no involvement with its execution.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think it would necessarily need to, IF you were 'being supervised' by someone (competent) who was going to sign for (and 'take responsibility' for) 'the construction'. However, if you were re-wiring the CU 'on your own', without any oversight, then I don't think that, strictly speaking, anyone but you could sign for 'the construction'.

I am, of course, talking about 'how it should be', and don't imagine that it is anything like a 'universal practice' :)

In totally different fields, I frequently 'sign for' work that I have 'overseen' but not necessarily done. However, if I signed for something without having in any way 'supervised it' (i.e. 'rubber stamping') I could be in very deep trouble, particularly if anything 'went wrong' as a result of the work that I had 'taken responsibility for', even though I'd had no involvement with its execution.

Kind Regards, John
So the hesitation you seem to have is only related to how tight the supervision is?

So the hesitation you seem to have is only related to how tight the supervision is?
I suppose one could put it like that. It's really common sense (and 'backside protecting :) ) - if one is going to personally attest that some work has been done correctly and 'take responsibility' for it having been done correctly, then one is putting oneself at risk if one has not undertaken a reasonable degree of 'supervision' or 'checking'. I have seen situations in which failure to do that has 'backfired' in a big way.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suppose one could put it like that. It's really common sense (and 'backside protecting :) ) - if one is going to personally attest that some work has been done correctly and 'take responsibility' for it having been done correctly, then one is putting oneself at risk if one has not undertaken a reasonable degree of 'supervision' or 'checking'. I have seen situations in which failure to do that has 'backfired' in a big way.

Kind Regards, John
Oh yes and on more than one occasion, working on building sites one tends to get used to it.
I've tried to power a control panel from an isolator provided for it, complete with signoff docs and test results. Heading for the DB expecting to switch the 3ph breaker on I found not a single wire terminated in the entire board of something like a dozen circuits, including the incoming supply, the main contractor assured me I was wrong when he produced the entire set of documents for the whole floor, most of which hadn't even been cabled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back