Earth Continuity Satisfactory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you tick (or cross) this box on a MWC if:

The loop was 49.9 Ohm.

The system was TT.

There was no earth rod.

There was an meb to the water & gas, providing the 49.9 Ohms reading.

Now, I would cross the box & say earth continuity was unsatisfactory, because, although the reading is within the 200 Ohms & the system was protected by an RCD, it is coming from the wrong place.

PS. This was installed by a "pro" spark a week ago. Give me strength...

Tick or cross?

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
I'd cross it. As you said the earth path isn't provided by permitted method. Pretty disgraceful for a 'pro-spark'.

Davy

imo it is not at all satisfactory because the water supplier can replace metal pipe with plastic at any time meaning the ammount of metal in the ground connected to the bond could reduce substatially with little or no warning.

If it's TT then it needs an electrode - 542-02-04

The 'earth continuity satisafctory' only applies to your earthing within the installation and does not relate to satisfactory/unsatisfactory Ze

Hope this is of some help!

Sponsored Links
Depends where its coming from, just might be something other than the conventional rod being used as an electrode (542-02-01)

But if its just a normal house (mine definatly doesn't have I beams set into the foundations!) and this doesn't apply, then its a cross, he should have checked for an electrode (130-07-01) and obviously if he found nothing but main bonds to the services into the MET then 542-02-04 then comes into play

I would cross too.

You would disconnect the MEBs to get your Ze reading which would not exist so if nothing else it fails on this.

Thanks, guys.

I have been quizzed as to why I failed the install above when 49.9 Ohms for a TT supply is seen as satisfactory.

I explained I failed it because of the source of the earth connection, not because of the reading.

You mean people question you? The almighty, all knowing Simon Securespark? :LOL:

It is very difficult to get used to, but yes, unfortunately, people question my judgement.

Now I know what it feels like to be a God.

;)

But if you wait till next year it's in the DPC that under certain circumstances it may be allowed to use a water pipe as an electrode ;)

only pipework that isn't utility water supply and precautions must be taken against its removal.

securespark said:
Would you tick (or cross) this box on a MWC if...

There was no earth rod.

No earth electrode means implicitly that there was no earthing conductor to verify the presence, size and satisfactory continuity of. No conductor, no tick. Unsatisfactory installation... no need to actually measure anything at all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back