Earth for light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I just wanted to check something. I'm pretty sure I understand it, but I read something online which made me question myself, so I thought I'd better check.

I'm attaching the light below to a 3-core cable. As I understand it I just need to connect blue to blue, brown to brown and G/Y to G/Y, then if the case became live the current would flow from the case to the earth cable (via the connection at the top right of the picture).

Is that right?

I only ask because somebody reviewing the light, complained about having to take further steps to earth it.

XLS0LdCl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes you simply connect the three wires. The earthing problem only exists with houses wired before 1966 when it was common not to have earth wires to lights.

Thanks. Just thought I should check. All done now.

Got a link to that review?

Hi BaS. This is the review (the top critical one)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROMKE-Ceil...iewpnt_rgt?filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

now that I read it again, it matches up completely with what ericmark said.

Sponsored Links
The problem with pre-1966 homes is that they often had no earth connection at all, in which case lights that require an earth cannot be installed.

The review is just someone who had no clue what they were doing, and for reasons known only to them decided to dismantle the item rather than connect the wires to the terminal block supplied.

'solid core electrics' - most wiring used for homes has solid cores.
It's the older ones which are more likely to have stranded wires.

review.png

The problem with pre-1966 homes is that they often had no earth connection at all, in which case lights that require an earth cannot be installed.

The review is just someone who had no clue what they were doing, and for reasons known only to them decided to dismantle the item rather than connect the wires to the terminal block supplied.

'solid core electrics' - most wiring used for homes has solid cores.
It's the older ones which are more likely to have stranded wires.

View attachment 147286

I'm not sure why that reviewer was struggling so much, if the op's pic is anything to go by.

Maybe the manufacturer took notice and redesigned it. The light fitting is one of the easier ones to connect - with plenty of space to house joints and extended bits of wire and the like.

I'd go with what sparkwright said and also point out that the presence of slots for the fixing screws indicates that some thought has gone into making the installer's life easier, its an annoyance when you have to hold a fitting up with one hand and try and get a fiddly little screw started with just one hand to do it with, a dab of blu tack helps a bit, but a fitting you can just slot on, and then tighten screws afterwards makes life easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back