Earth from cutout to MET - who is responsible?

Sponsored Links
I may just be seeing things, but when I look very carefully at the photo (and clean the area of my monitor) I can barely see what look like two small circular features on the recessed area that seem to line up with the terminals. I guess these are holes allowing access to the terminal screws.

You must be seeing things, as there definitely were no such features on the recessed area, and from what I can see the recessed area definitely is designed to come out as one piece - very similar to the knockouts on a surface mount box (and indeed it looks to have come out about as cleanly too).

(edit: clarified I meant no features, not no recessed area).

A lot have been made PME even though appears as TN-S in the premises.

Given that the safest approach is "assume that it is, or will be PME at some point further upstream", the old cable has now been replaced with some 16mm earth cable to a new 8 way MET, which then goes onto my gas bonding (looks to be 10mm) and CU (16mm). Incidentally the lead water pipe doesn't appear to be bonded, although this will be getting replaced with a plastic one in a few months so I'll likely leave this as it is (and the boiler appears to be providing some form of bonding with the water anyway).

The old cable was around 2.5mm - presumably some old imperial size as it was sheathed solid green. Quite scary if it really is PME.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back