Earth.....I'm a little confused!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone explain this for me?!

IN my garage theres a twin socket and back box, made of plastic.

Usual Earth, Neutral and Live connections.

I want to replace this with a metal clad unit, only because its a little more hefty, but it has 3 earth connections, one on the socket, one that earths the screw holes and one on the metal back box itself.

What goes where?!

Can anyone give me a point in the right direction!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Steve, the incoming earth connection should run to either earth terminal on the socket itself (preferably the one moulded into the plastic section) and either a piece of 1.5mmsq green/yellow singles or green/yellow sheathed CPC stripped from an old cable should be used to link the earth between the backbox and socket itself.

Is it one of those sockets which has 2 terminals on the back for the earth? I take it they are commoned together? Can you post a pic of the back of the socket to be double sure?

Is it one of those sockets which has 2 terminals on the back for the earth? I take it they are commoned together? Can you post a pic of the back of the socket to be double sure?

I'll grab one later for you!!

If it helps, Its an MK metal clad socket with outboard rocker switches.

Sponsored Links
02042008046.jpg

02042008047.jpg

Thanks

Steve

The socket pic is unclear.

It sounds like you have a socket intended for computer use.
These have two earth terminals, for a reason ,proberly not applicable in your case.

From the pic though ,it looks like an ISOLATED earth version
This was made special so when screwed back ,the earth pin output would remain isolated from the metal back box earth.
Proberly not relevant to your case, so I would link all 3 terminals
If you dont there may be a chance you are not earthing the earth pin,and only earthing the screw frame!

Try a plug in it first , I think you may find it wont fit :!:

Try the pic again if poss. or say the mk part number, which may be on the socket, something like K****

If you are using it to replace a standard socket, you will do no harm by linking all 3 terminals together with earth wire.

Plugged my kettle in to the socket so it takes a standard plug.

The earths on the back of the socket are actually connected together, so I assume i'd connect the T&E to one, then connect the other to the back box???

Can't see a part number on it i'm afraid, but it is stamped MK on the front!

I just fitted a load of matt chrome MK doubles, all were like that, I just linked all the terminals together after establishing that a redundant earth system was not necessary (the idea is that you can connect one earth of each of a redundant system to each terminal in order to provide extra protection for very high earth leakage systems in case of a burn out or cable falling out)

Plugged my kettle in

Then it seems it is as sean says for the two earth set up not relevant to you.

Linking all 3 may be pointless, but sensible just in case.

As far as I know the ISOLATED earth ones are only made with the T earth
and wuold not accept a standard plug.

For more info go to the VOLTIMUM MK website, under metalclad sockets.

The outboard rockers are desighned , so you can use with gloves on.

Your pic does not look as though the earths are linked though.
Can you redo it[/quote]

They are, it's the badly whited out bit on the photo right in the centre, the two bars are joined by a link at 90 degrees to the plane of the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back