earth loop reading

Sponsored Links
yes, checked ring continuity and insulation resistance again right at the end of the day. figures are from the first post. very odd. did think my kewtec tester was playing up as well. gonna try and test it again next week.

Hate to ask this too. Did you calibrate/null your test meter cables before each test. Temperature can cause a small amount of drift, but not much.

PS, Try using the EDIT button rather than keep adding lots of one line posts.

Sponsored Links
I take it you did a no-trip type test? These usually do measure high - especially if there is any noise on the circuit.
Easiest solution is to measure R1+R2 by the normal dead method for a ring final and add to Ze.

ok, havent experienced a figure quite as high as that before. can you explain "noise" in the circuit. i did have that flash up on the tester.

Noise is basically any unwanted signal.
As your EFLI tester cant send 10A down the line to calculate the EFLI via volt drop it does it by other means.
It may use a current lower than the trip threshold of the RCD to calculate this. If the noise on the circuit is too high it will interfere with the small currents being used by the tester and it wont be able to correctly calculate the result.
Other testers use different technologies such as one type fires DC down the line (DLOK) to lock the RCD - a bit temperamental with todays electronic RCDs.

Easiest solution is to measure R1+R2 by the normal dead method for a ring final and add to Ze.

Agreed. In fact, with the introduction of RCD's on pretty much every domestic new circuit I find myself using this method more and more.

Did you try testing at the back of socket at the terminals? I have know very dirty/grease/poor quality sockets give higher readings, although admittedly never quite this bad....

SB

i see. this may very well be the problem. will double check all readings next week, but will probably go for the calculated zs if i have no other luck, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back