Earth required in light switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a electrical inspection done and it's been noted that the lighting circuit in my house has no earth, so needs rewiring.

I'm wondering if it's possible this can be accomplished more easily (ie, without wall chasing) by only replacing the ceiling wiring, and not the switch wiring.

Is it a legal requirement to have earth in the switch wiring if you only intend to use plastic switches / backboxes? At least one page of the wiki seems to suggest it isn't.

Sponsored Links
If you want your wiring system to be compliant with 16th ed and onward the earths are required.

If existing cable are buried then it will be fabric damage to run new cables in.

Some sparks cut out the cpc / earth- have you checked that the cable doesn't have earth core via stripping some back?

From an electrical safety prespective the earth is essential especially with the modern fad of metal faced switches and metal based fittings.

If you don't have any metal fittings then there is no requirement for you to have your lights earthed.

At the ceiling rose end you should be able to get enough slack wire to strip it back and get the earth as chances are the earth is their it has just been cut back really short as said above if you back box on the socket is metal then you need an earth same if the back box is plastic and you want to put a metal switch plate on like chrome or brass (YOU NEED AN EARTH ) you may be able to grab the end of the earth behind the switch and pull it down but be gentle as it will ruin the plaster if its bonded in solid failing these option you need to chase the wall buddy

Just had a electrical inspection done and it's been noted that the lighting circuit in my house has no earth, so needs rewiring.

I'm wondering if it's possible this can be accomplished more easily (ie, without wall chasing) by only replacing the ceiling wiring, and not the switch wiring.

Is it a legal requirement to have earth in the switch wiring if you only intend to use plastic switches / backboxes? At least one page of the wiki seems to suggest it isn't.

please do not attempt any electrical work unless you are sumwhat knowledgeable on the subject

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back