Earth stake?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No bonding on a gas meter on the wall outside. Is it possible to earth it to an earth rod buried in the ground outside, adjacent to the meter, as the MET is other side of the house with hardwood floors and decorations everywhere so practically no chance of a cable run, at least not a pretty one!

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
"Impossible" is a strong word.

Are we talking aboput a house that has no skirting boards it could be clipped to or tucked behind? No ceilings where it could be hidden behind coving? No upper floor where it could be run under the boards and brought down in a corner? No plaster walls that could be chased out?

I think the word you're looking for is "inconvenient."

Let me know when you find a house where the owners say it's "impossible" to run a telephone line or a TV aerial cable, or run piping for central heating, so they do without.

The gas meter does not need to be bonded, only the pipe within 600mm of the point of entry on consumer side of the meter

If I have to find a way to run the cable then that's what I will do. I was more interested in whether the earth rod was an option or for a view on the reasons why it wouldn't be.

Sponsored Links
Actually, the rule is the bonding has to be connected within 600mm of the meter and before any tees

chicd4 said:
I was more interested in whether the earth rod was an option or for a view on the reasons why it wouldn't be.

No, the point of equipotenial bonding is to keep metalwork at the same potential, the MET is not always going to be exactly at the same potential as the physical ground, especially during a fault

we've had this discussion before..

the gas has to be bonded to the MET at the point of entry to the house or after the meter if the meter is inside..

chicd4 said:
Actually, the rule is the bonding has to be connected within 600mm of the meter and before any tees

Or within 600mm of entry to building if meter is external ;)

So the answer is NO you can't you a rod. You have to go back to the MET.

The question wasn`t where the gas pipe bond is connected but rather what it is bonded too.
The answer is no do not bond it to an earth rod in this system as you`re increasing rather than decreasing the risk.

The whole point of main bonding is to join the Main Earthing Terminal of the installation to anything that might be bringing local earth potential into the installation.

You`re MET is either TNS (Seperate earthed armour from the supplier) or TNC-S (Earthed from the combined Earth Neutral from the supplier) or TT (your earth is dervied from a rod (or plate etc) .

In other words you have one system of earthing.

If the remainder of the installation is TN (C or C-S) but the gas is TT then you could have two differing earth potentials across the pipe.

Having said all that I`ve seen it done quite a few times now.
AGGGGHHHH!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back