Earth wire at ceiling rose - odd tester reaction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked by a friend to swap a light fitting in her lounge. Using a tester that beeps when held near a live wire, I tested for live, switched off the lighting circuit and tested for dead, whereupon holding the tester next to the earth cable still caused it to beep.

As I am clearly not an electrician, this had already gone past my pay grade, as I didn't understand why the tester would "go off". The earth cable was being used in the old fitting but not in the new, but anyway I terminated all cables safely for now and came here.

Any ideas what may have been causing the behaviour?

Sponsored Links
The volt pens aren't great for testing for live.
Chances are its not live and its just picking up static/magnetic field.
To be sure you should invest in a multimeter or test lamps.

They have their uses, but testing for live/dead is not one of them.

I would not trust one with my live/life, they work on non-contact electro-magnetics.
Always go with the two probe approved indicators.

Sponsored Links
We have a problem with our supply cable at the moment.

It did make me laugh when the supply company waved a volt stick at the fuses.

They tested the supply cable with a DVM and for good measure touched with his finger. It wasn't as if he was going to be working on it. It could of become live very easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back