Earth wire runs to gas meter and electrical distribution box

I'm going to sit on the fence, as I am sure there is mention in the regs. It is also something the NIC are hot on when inspecting in my experience. I know that does not mean it is fact.

It is something I have always known and done, and believe it was also something tought when I was at college.

I fancy a flick through the regs now!

Sponsored Links
As much as that no I think I will back down :D.

However, you will no doubt have heard of this from a number of sources including the NICEIC - they have gone down hill since I left them for the second time :D.

It is not in BS 7671 though, for the reasons I gave earlier.

Sponsored Links
As I said earlier, the closest you'll come is 543.2.2 (vii) which directs you to 543.2.6.
I would think a properly terminated connection complying with 543.3.3 and a warning notice complying with 514.13.1 would suffice.

I too have just looked in the red book and I can't find anything, I had always believed in the unbroken protective bonding conductor rule.

Good job really, I bonded an SWA telecoms cable yesterday by shoving a 10mm2 G/Y into the main protective bonding clamp on the incoming water!

I think I'll keep doing things as I currently do, at least if the connection on one service fails, the bond is not lost.

Think theres something about this in the WIKI, does somebody need to update this to reflect this?

The unbroken conductor is mentioned in the wiki - I taught it needs to be this way and is one of the faults on the boards for the 2391 practical exam. For domestic installations in the interest of the preservation of the main protective conductors I'd prefer to leave this in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back