Earth wiring in sockets and switches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if it is just me, but I find it very difficult to connect the earth wires together in many switches, sockets and mounting boxes. In a double pole box, I may hve up to six earth wires, two for each switch if they are both connected to other switches, plus one for the mounting box and one for the switchplate. However, the earth terminal provided with many boxes, switches and sockets is quite pathetic, often only allowing about 3mm of wire to protrude into it, and is often very wide in diameter. The result is that all my earth wires keep popping out, and when I have connected everything and screwed back the coverplate, I am not always convinced that the wires have stayed in place. I have reduced this problem slightly by wiring two of the six to the box, and two to the plate, and connecting a length of wire between the two. One big problem, is that the earth sheathing keeps slipping over the end of the wire. Surely professional electricians don't waste their time fiddling about like this. What is the best solution please?

Additional question: If I am using plastic quickfit pipe throughout my house except for radiator tails and a three feet length of copper pipe immediately after the boiler, do I need to do any earth bonding of taps and appliances etc? Thanks..

Sponsored Links
For confidence that the cpc's are all clamped securely you should be doing a continuity test and entering the R1+R2 value on the test results form. If, as I suspect, you are not testing your work before putting it into service, you are endangering the lives of those that use the installation.
As for the Bonding question there is ample information in the reference section

Can't see how I can test L1 and L2 if I have screwed the lightswitch plate back into position. I have a special tester for electrical sockets.

Also, this doesn't answer the question of how to stop all the wires popping out of the earth terminal! I am new to the website, and have been unable to find the reference section.

Sponsored Links
Hartly said:
Can't see how I can test L1 and L2 if I have screwed the lightswitch plate back into position. I have a special tester for electrical sockets.
Who said anything about L1 and L2? Should have gone to specsavers!!!
R1+R2 is the value or resistance of the phase and cpc conductor combined and is vital that this is low enough to disconnect the protective device within the specified period of 5 seconds or 0.4 seconds. Failure to understand this means you are not competent to be tackling electrical work and you should call an electrician imediately.

Hartly said:
Also, this doesn't answer the question of how to stop all the wires popping out of the earth terminal! I am new to the website, and have been unable to find the reference section.

Should have gone to specsavers!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back