Earth with charge; supply more than 240 volts, what the...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whoever did the wiring in my flat when it was converted from a house around ten years ago, was not too concerned about doing a really conscientious job.

A couple things I've discovered seem plain weird. However, I don't know if it's an example of slap-dash wiring, or something else.

1. The earth carries a small charge, I've checked wherever I can, but still can't find the cause.

2. I have a 290v supply. I imagine that a little above or below 240v is normal, but 290v?

What's going on? It's worrying me. Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With what are you measuring your 290 volts ?
Where are you measuring it?
On what range is the instrument set to?

you live in a converted flat

are the meters in a communal area? can you take pics? including all the cables around them.

Yep. I did check my meter this morning. It turns out I really can blame my tools this time around. I borrowed someone else's meter, and discovered mine was faulty.

However, the earth is still showing a charge.

Yes the supply meters are in a communal area, should I still send pics?

?
thanks

Sponsored Links
yes please

What are you measuring the earth wire against to find your voltage? What is the voltage?

Or do you mean it is carrying a current? What is the current?

It does sound like something is amiss here.

I'm thinking floating CPC, but same as you John, I'm wondering about something wrong with the incommer CNE conductor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back