EARTH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF EARTHING WE FIND I E TN-C TNC-S ETC WHAT DOE THEY MEAN AND HOW DO YOU DIFFERENTIATE AM CUORIOS THANKS

Sponsored Links
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

My ears are bleeding, stop shouting!!

TT - Uses a customer supplied seperate earth rod

TNC-S (PME) - Uses supply neutral as earth

TNS - Uses outer sheath of cable as earth (phase and neutral inside and all seperate)

SO I HAVE A EARTH BLOCK AT THE SIDE OF MY INCOMING SUPPLY ATTACHED BANG ON THE SIDE AND YOU USE ALAM KEYS TO TIGHTEN YOUR EARTHS UP SO WHATS THIS

Sponsored Links
The arrangement is just like mine - it's likely to be a TNCS or PME system, where the main earth point emerges off the right hand side of the incoming service fuse block itself.

Could you please, for the love of god press your caps lock key!!!

Your description doesn't actually explain where the earth cable goes. Does it go inside the cutout or does it go to the sheath of the supply cable?

nozspark said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

My ears are bleeding, stop shouting!!

TT - Uses a customer supplied seperate earth rod

TNC-S (PME) - Uses supply neutral as earth

TNS - Uses outer sheath of cable as earth (phase and neutral inside and all seperate)

Almost.

TN-S does not neccessarily use the SHEATH of a cable (S is NOT sheath). The SEPERATE path could be a seperate earth cable (common on larger supplies), a core IN a cable (such as a split concentric cable), or indeed the sheath or armour.......when I say armour, it most likely to actually be a wave form concentic covering.

OP: Any chance of a photo so we can identify your supply type much easier for you?

Congrats on 1000 posts Davy!! :D

CAPLOCK.jpg

Lec,

I know, I was just trying to keep it nice and simple for the op. Could also be an overhead supply!! If we were to go into all the different variances of the different supply types my reply would have ended up being like war & peace:cool: :cool:

nozspark said:
Lec,

I know, I was just trying to keep it nice and simple for the op. Could also be an overhead supply!! If we were to go into all the different variances of the different supply types my reply would have ended up being like war & peace:cool: :cool:

Overhead supply would be as I termed 'seperate cable' wether above or below ground ;) And they are *pretty* much extinct!

overheads are often PME these days (time was, they weren't)

Lec,
There's nothing pretty about overheads, and we do have a few up here! (right outside my window)

nozspark said:
Lec,
There's nothing pretty about overheads, and we do have a few up here! (right outside my window)

I was talking all TN-S.......

No, I have plenty of overheads here, but they are PME or TN-C-S.....not TN-S ;)

I know of an overhead TN-S round our way. Will get a pic next time I'm up there :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back