Earthing a metal switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,
I want to replace my cheapo plastic light switches with some 007 sexy metal ones. The old switches have all the earths connected to the earth terminal of the cavity box as normal.
Now, the new switch cases have an earth terminal on the switch case itself. Again, I know this is expected with metal switches.
Here's the question - do I leave the earths where they are, and use a single bit of wire to join the case to the box, or take all the earths and connect them up to the switch terminal, (and maybe join them to the box?)
As an aside, the terminals are a bit small - If I have 6 earths, can I connect 3 to the box, 3 to the switch and join them ?
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Aftershock, the best course of action is to leave the earth's in the cavity box and take a fly-lead from that terminal to the earth terminal on the switch faceplate.

However, if you find you cannot get all the cables into the terminal in the cavity box, you could connect them all onto the faceplate and then take a fly lead to the cavity box.

Ideally you should avoid splitting the circuit earths as you ask, however if there is no other way to do it, then it is still accpetable as long as they are connected together.

Thanks FWL, lovely clear answer.

Out of interest, isn't a metal switch already "connected" to the box anyway. What would happen if I connected all earths just to the switch plate, and omitted the flylead (not that I would now, honest guv).

aftershock said:
Thanks FWL, lovely clear answer.

Out of interest, isn't a metal switch already "connected" to the box anyway. What would happen if I connected all earths just to the switch plate, and omitted the flylead (not that I would now, honest guv).

The most important item to earth is the faceplate, this is the bit you make physical contact with, however if you dropped the faceplate off the box for any reason, and a core became exposed, this could touch the box, and without it being Earthed could remain live and therefore a danger to you or anyone else for that matter.

It is for this reason that the faceplates and boxes should all have flyleads connected to the box Earth terminal. This is also true for plastic faceplates for sockets, spurs (FCU's) and similar accessories.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
It is for this reason that the faceplates and boxes should all have flyleads connected to the box Earth terminal. This is also true for plastic faceplates for sockets, spurs (FCU's) and similar accessories.

You love starting it.......

This is also true for plastic faceplates for sockets, spurs (FCU's) and similar accessories.

Can U xpand?

Umm...

Plastic sockets, plastic FCUs and similar plastic accessories all have earth terminals, and FWL suggests that these should be connected via flylead to the earth terminal of the box. What's not to understand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back