Earthing a steel bath

Goofyish said:
Surely the steel bath would be insulated from the earthed pipes by the plastic/rubber sealing washers and enamel between the bath and the taps taps.

This is what Goof actually said. It appears to be a question rather than a statement, and he has not qualified it by adding "this being the case means you need to earth it", or words to that effect.

Had he ended it like that then my reply would have been different or not appeared at all.

AdamW, bathwater may have a resistance of 100kOhmns, but the humans bodies is considerably lower, and if you provided the earth path for a fault current by earthing the bath, the current would be significantly higher than 2mA.

Wht do you think people die in Europe, the US and the Third world from electrical appliances falling into baths. A bad installation is all it takes for the item to remain live, and then when you step out of the bath..WAMMO..your worm fodder!

Sponsored Links
I Hear That Bathrooms Are To Become An "Earth Free Zone" In The Future ;)

paulh53 said:
I Hear That Bathrooms Are To Become An "Earth Free Zone" In The Future ;)

Great, we can all have el cheapo plastic baths and candle-lighting!

Just thinking, earth free zone? That will be fun for electric shower makers! How do you design a 14kW electrical device that will be used by people standing in water, without an earth? I suppose you could mount the boiler outside the bathroom, alternatively you could have a transformer that takes the mains down to very low voltage and sends the resulting high current along national-grid type cables!

Answers on a postcard...

Sponsored Links
Just Saying :rolleyes: You Know How The "Gossip" Goes About :LOL:
Hearing Things Do Not Make Them a Fact :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back