Earthing Back Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When wiring up sockets, do you also have to earth the metal back box? Or is putting both earths into socket sufficient?

Sponsored Links
do you also have to earth the metal back box
Yes

Use an off cut of cpc wire sleeved in yellow and green to connect to earth terminal on socket and back box

I sell suitable Earth Links for this purpose, with well-terminated ends and top-quality sheathing in duo-coloured Green and Yellow PVC, skillfully trimmed by hand in convenient 150mm lengths.

They are £5 each plus P&P ;)

Sponsored Links
ml1936 said:
When wiring up sockets, do you also have to earth the metal back box? Or is putting both earths into socket sufficient?

Put both earth wires into socket along with a bit of earth wire from back of the box.

It's not necessary for flush back boxes as long as the boxes have one fixed lug and the accessory has an earth connection between the two screw holes.

TeesdaleSpark said:
It's not necessary for flush back boxes as long as the boxes have one fixed lug and the accessory has an earth connection between the two screw holes.

Thank you!

I thought it was just me who knew that...!

There is no longer a requirement to fit a "flying lead" as long as you satisfy the conditions TS listed above.

However, if you have two adjustable lugs &/or an accessory that does not have an earth connection between the two fixing holes, then you must link the accessory to the box via said flying lead, in a minimum of 1.5mm².

Although not required, for what its worth I'd fit them regardless!!

JohnD said:
I sell suitable Earth Links for this purpose, with well-terminated ends and top-quality sheathing in duo-coloured Green and Yellow PVC, skillfully trimmed by hand in convenient 150mm lengths.

They are £5 each plus P&P ;)
I'll take 20! :LOL: Nothing worse than running out! :cool:

Spark123 said:
I'll second that

What happens when someone decides not to use a grommet and the cable gets damaged where it enters the back box? Without the flying earth the fault wouldn't be present when you removed the face plate but the back box would remain live to touch.

As stated in another post, 7671 is a minimum standard and IMO quite often it pays to exceed it.

But don't buy your leads from JD, I sell them complete with a crimp connector one end @ £4.99 inc P&P ;)

Pensdown said:
Spark123 said:
I'll second that

What happens when someone decides not to use a grommet and the cable gets damaged where it enters the back box? Without the flying earth the fault wouldn't be present when you removed the face plate but the back box would remain live to touch.

As stated in another post, 7671 is a minimum standard and IMO quite often it pays to exceed it.

But don't buy your leads from JD, I sell them complete with a crimp connector one end @ £4.99 inc P&P ;)

Surely you would isolate circuit before removing face plate:cool:

Invisible-Man said:

Sometimes its necessary for live testing, and other times when you want to see which directions cables run in etc, you probably should isolate in most cases unless you need the power on for tests, etc (as it would not be too unreasonable to do so) but in the real world... heck in the real world accesories get changed with the power on!

Adam_151 said:
Invisible-Man said:

Sometimes its necessary for live testing, and other times when you want to see which directions cables run in etc, you probably should isolate in most cases unless you need the power on for tests, etc (as it would not be too unreasonable to do so) but in the real world... heck in the real world accesories get changed with the power on!

Yes I know, just one thing though, if you were to change the faceplate with the power on, then the earth cable would be get dissconnected anyway :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back