United Kingdom
Please advise
Is this meter earthed correctly?

Attachments

• 20160622_194455.jpg
    20160622_194455.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 377
Sponsored Links
No, it should be earthed on the consumer's side not the supply side for starters.
Also it is not advised to have a stray unconnected end, if the second cable is part of the earthing system, the earth clamp should also have a BS951 warning label on, which I cannot see on the picture.
Whether it is earthed correctly upstream of the gas meter, would then depend on the other connections and continuity.

I can see what's happening.

Is there just a single cable with one end unconnected, and the other end connected to the clamp?

or, does the cable connected to the clamp disappear elsewhere? if so, where , and where does the other end of the loose cable go?

Sponsored Links
I did not realise i had. Was having trouble putting pics up. Must have sent 2 by mistake.

It initially posted on wrong forum . It got moved here. Sorry for causing confusion. I think i will go with EPL. Thanks.

I can see what's happening.
Oh good!
Is there just a single cable with one end unconnected, and the other end connected to the clamp?
Oh dear!
or, does the cable connected to the clamp disappear elsewhere? if so, where , and where does the other end of the loose cable go?
Pass! you said you could see what was happening?
It should be by both electrical and gas requirements, be clamped on the rigid pipe after the gas union on the consumer side of the gas meter, then the cable should have continuity back to the MET at the fuse board/CU.
That is what you should be going with!!!!!!

No, it should be earthed on the consumer's side not the supply side for starters.

That is what the regulation says but it is not the best place for most effective main bonding.
So where would that be then? (out of interest).
It still does not comply to electrical or gas requirements?
Extraneous-conductive-parts should be (main) bonded at the point of entry to the premises where practicable (not where practical).

This is NOT on the other side of the meter - let alone if, as 544.1.2 spuriously states, where there is an insulating section which would isolate the bonding cable from the e-c-p rendering it useless for its intended purpose.

upload_2016-6-30_18-49-21.png

According to gas regulations:
Connect the PEB to the installation pipework on the consumer's side of the gas meter.
With regards to BS7671:
The main protective bonding connection to any gas pipework.
Goes on to say........
Where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, or there after, the connection shall be made at the consumer's side of the hard metal pipework and before any branches.

So concluding that it will be expected in most situations, that the gas supply pipe will be that of an insulated material and that the consumers side is indeed after the meter.

I believe/understand that the PEB, should not be fitted prior to the primary emergency isolation valve or the anaconda or before the meter it's self.
Debate on this if you wish, but those are the regulations/requirements that conform to the necessary practices of these industries type of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back