Earthing existing conduit

Sponsored Links
so basicly, i was right at the beginning and most normal people would run new chases.

I did deliberate about that when I replied as obviously the 'E' also stands for exposed. Also, in the context of the original question (if 'E' for extraneous) it would be bonding.
If it is thought that the conduit may become live then it may require earthing and the 'E' would refer to exposed. However, the fact is it is not exposed, it's buried (dampness apart).
I had taken the OP's mention of 'conduit running down a wall' as meaning on the surface (i.e.exposed). If that's an incorrect interpretation, and it's buried, then I agree with you - if it's not exposed, then it can't be an exposed-conductive-part, so technically doesn't need earthing - and (as I said before) I can't see how it could count as an extraneous-conductive-part which would need bonding.
The original conduit would have been attached to the back box (and so earthed) but I presume it has become detached.
Yes, I thought of that, and forgot to mention it. I wonder if the OP is overlooking the mechanical connections to earthed back boxes, and was merely refering to the absence of any 'wires' earthing the conduit?

Kind Regards, John.

I would consider conduit to be and exposed conductive part even when carrying 6242Y. Its insulated and sheathed, not double insulated.
As I wrote last night, that's always been my understanding. It obviously has to be exposed somewhere to be an exposed-conductive-part - but, as holmslaw has poined out, it's quite likely to be 'exposed' somewhere, even if much of it is buried in walls.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
The original conduit would have been attached to the back box (and so earthed) but I presume it has become detached.

It's quite likely there wasn't a back box fitted orginally, and the end of the tube had a rubber bung on the end.

It's also likely if the tube was merely a switch drop in the wall from the switch to the ceiling void it was never earthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back