Earthing light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced blown transformers in my lights and noticed that there is no earth terminal in the fittings.

would i be right in saying i don't need one if the connections and transformer are placed in the ceiling void?

as the transformers were simply placed in the head of the fitting i would feel safer making an earth point and putting the ring connections in a box instead of taped up choc blocs.

Just wanted to check before i go charging in and changing things.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need an earth connection to the fittings if they are double insulated. You should however have an earth on the cable feeding the transformer and the connection to the transformer cable should be made in a lighting junction box, not in a tape-wrapped choc-block.

Thanks very much for your help.

The transformers do have the double insulation symbol on them.

I will run earth into the transformers to carry it as far as i can as they have an earth continuity connector.

Should this be done with 1mm flex so that i can clamp the outer casing in the transformer or is clamping just the red/black insulation of twin and earth ok?

come to think of it the spotlights upstairs are run with twin+earth and have only clamped red/black

Thanks again

the cables are only just long enough to make it through the plaster board so the only thing i can think of is fitting a standard rose and runing it to the transformer instead of a pendant.

does this sound like bad practice though?

other than that its flooring off upstairs which seems lot of work.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I like the method of suspension for the light - where most would just hang the light by its cables. :cool:

I hope that JB has a cover!:cool:

Those JBs are meant to be fixed in place, and used with cables which are fixed, because they have no cable clamps.

You should replace it with something like this:

ASJ501X.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back