Earthing pump pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd try my luck again after good replies to previous query. I sort of think I know what to do on this but I've installed a Salamander pump for my bathroom supply. Made a good job to their (exacting) installation requirements. Now I have to cross bond the pipes to earth them . Is this just a case of wiring (for want of a better word) them all together, and where does the earth go to. As ever, any advice will be greatly appreciated. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Fit an earth clip on each pipe and loop a piece of 6mm earth wire between each (unbroken). I assume your pump is beside your D/W cylinder, if so then the pipework there should already be bonded together so bond between this bonding and thepump pipework

Joat, you only need 4mm to comply with the regs. Secondly, the cable should not be looped, it should be terminated onto the Earth clamps using the correct size (Yellow) crimp lugs with 6mm holes in the spade.

In order to bond these to a known earth it would be a good idea to take this bond back to the Earth terminal of the circuit supplying the pump, unless you can confirm that you can bond them to already bonded pipework with a verified earth path.

FWL_Engineer said:
Joat, you only need 4mm to comply with the regs. Secondly, the cable should not be looped, it should be terminated onto the Earth clamps using the correct size (Yellow) crimp lugs with 6mm holes in the spade.

In order to bond these to a known earth it would be a good idea to take this bond back to the Earth terminal of the circuit supplying the pump, unless you can confirm that you can bond them to already bonded pipework with a verified earth path.
FWL this was the point i was making in the other post about making sure it is not floating but has a good earth reading and i'm still saying this should eventually find it's way back to the main earth bond.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
FWL this was the point i was making in the other post about making sure it is not floating but has a good earth reading and i'm still saying this should eventually find it's way back to the main earth bond.

Ken, this should be in the other thread not here.

FW

Rings, eyes (whatever you call them) are better. They're captive.

securespark said:
FW

Rings, eyes (whatever you call them) are better. They're captive.

Simon..what else would have a 6mm HOLE in it? :D Re-read what I wrote, I think you mis-interpreted what I wrote :D

afacit the terms spade and fork are usually used to fere to the crimp connections that are open at the end and push over a screw withotu complete removal

ring and eye are used to refere to those with a hole that you actually have to push the screw though

plugwash said:
afacit the terms spade and fork are usually used to fere to the crimp connections that are open at the end and push over a screw withotu complete removal

ring and eye are used to refere to those with a hole that you actually have to push the screw though

Peter, your simply being fecescious now.

PS - sorry - wasn't taking the mick re a spelling mistake - I just couldn't resist that one....

faeces is how you should spell it.

No Jim, I thought by spade you meant a Y terminal.

Thanks for the replies chaps, more confused than ever now. You see, and I hate to admit this, most of my plumbing and electrics are 60's vintage. Not a bonded pipe in sight, lights without earths etc. (No I dont plug the iron into a light socket, but you get my drift) I can hear the collective sharp intake of breath now, however, and this is not to say I've been anything but lucky, I've lived here for 16 years no probs. (touch wood, 20 Hail Marys, stroke the rabbits foot). I'm really not being lighthearted about this, it worries me, but what do you do? If I could afford to get it sorted, I guess I would'nt be bothering this forum. Anything I do I try to do properly, But I have this base of it not being up to 2004 standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back