easiest way to fix a cross thread in a gang box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to fix a cross thread in a gang box? I can't remove the box as it's set behind wall tiles and I don't want to damage them.

Yes, I could plug the wall and use a bloody big screw but not a nice finish for the face plate. I have read something about a Tap but not sure how this works. The thread that is knackered is the moveable side not the fixed one.

Any thoughts

Cheers

Sponsored Links
a re-threading tool 3.5mm is what ur looking for, also known as a hand tap! very cheap, they work as the name suggests

That’s not always possible as when the thread strips it quite often makes the hole too big for a re-thread. If you have the depth you can fit a screw extender which has a male thread one end and a female on the other. The male thread goes into the stripped hole with a 3.5mm nut on the back and your socket screws into the female part. You will need to use a shorter 3.5mm screw but they are easy to cut down.

I don’t know the correct name for the screw extender but I’m sure Mr Wholesaler does.

Edit. Found the little bugger..Machine Screw Extension Stud

http://www.cablemanstore.co.uk/erol...d&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Use No More Nails to fix that puppy down, cut the head off the screw and superglue in place - jobs a goodun'....

OK don't do that....but I have seen the extender jobbies that Pensdown is talking about but can't remember the name either - a quick Google didn't turn up anything either

Probably worth getting a hand tap anyway as they are so cheap and uesfull to have!!

Sponsored Links
I have also heard the extenders refered to as castle studs. You can sometimes squish the lug a bit with a pair of grips and then rethread it. This usually works ok for me. Rethread it with one of these

Cut/remove the lug from a spare box, stick it behind the stripped lug so that the holes line up, screw on face plate as normal, job jobbed! Just make sure that you cut the lug near enough to the box wall that it's unable to spin if it comes unstuck once the screw is in. Alternatively you could stick a nut on behind the existing lug with something like araldite, but it could be a bit fiddly and you might have to hunt for a M3.5 nut...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back