East to west

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you shouldn't run wiring across a room but is it ok if the sockets/fcu's are very close together?
Also is Marbo an ok make, their prices are a canny bit less then the likes of Mk.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Rf, I Should have given a bit more info.
Your link states that you can run wiring horizontaly as long as it's buried 50mm below wall surface.
What I'd like to know is, does that still apply if you are linking sockets in a ring main that are for example only a few millimetres apart.
The wires could go up & down the wall to link the sockets, but with the sockets being so close together it seems a bit of a waste of cable to do that.
Burying the wires 50mm below the plaster would be a bit difficult, the back boxes are only 25mm deep.

Sponsored Links
The wiring only needs to be >50mm deep if it is run outside of a safe zone.

Horizontally between two accesories is a safe zone, and therefore does not need to be buried that deep.

Ok, thanks for that.
I misunderstood the link which said.....

If a cable is run outside of the zones shown with green and blue then it must either be buried to a depth of 50mm or more below the finished wall surface.

The green & blue zones were within 150mm of the top of a wall or within 150mm of a corner.
But there were exceptions to this rule, one being vertically or horizontally from a socket, which is where I come in.
I always believed you shouldn't run wires in a wall horizontally anywhere, except close to the ceiling, looks like I was misinformed.
Thanks again.

I know you shouldn't run wiring across a room but is it ok if the sockets/fcu's are very close together?
Also is Marbo an ok make, their prices are a canny bit less then the likes of Mk.
Marbo is an excellent make..I aint used them for a while but I believe they are made from the old Crabtree lines but much cheaper
A bit hard to get hold of now but I prefer their stuff to the overpriced and overated MK crap that people still amazingly pay through their nose for
Cheers
GO GO GO MARBO GO
:LOL:

Were you being serious there jujubean, it's just that marbo seems to be sold by everybody, well, b&q & screwfix anyway.
I read a comment about marbo a while ago & they said the make was rubbish.
I wouldn't have thought they would be allowed to sell their stuff if they were dangerous, or really low quality.

Were you being serious there jujubean, it's just that marbo seems to be sold by everybody, well, b&q & screwfix anyway.
I read a comment about marbo a while ago & they said the make was rubbish.
I wouldn't have thought they would be allowed to sell their stuff if they were dangerous, or really low quality.
Well dA I gotta admit I aint used Marbo for a while...a few years but as I said I was impressed both with the pricing and quality....i dont think I have ever replaced an item I wired a hotel and countless houses back in the 90's using a lelluva lot of Marbo and as I said they were virtually the old crabtree design..dont see them at all in the suppliers today...Well not down here in Wales
Give me them to that Ashley crap we get today...But hey everyone to their own:cool:

What securespark & yourself have said is good enough for me, marbo it is then.
What I'm buying, I'll save about £40 using marbo instead of mk or crabtree.
Thanks for everbodys help, it's appreciated. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back