Easy Base Home Extensions

Sponsored Links
They don't really compare to a standard bricks and mortar extension. If you want something like one of these I reckon you could build it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Sponsored Links
Horrific!

Their sales speil should read... "How to substantially devalue your home in only one day"... :rolleyes:

Been discussed a few times before, not really worth it for extensions unless they're mahoosive. Best for complete new builds really.

Just trying to understand why people think the easybase home extension system is not so good. It's cheaper, quicker has a better insulation value and longer guarantee then any builder can offer. I'm considering the system myself so just wanted to understand what all the negativity is about.

Cheers AJ

If you look at the portfolio page
http://www.easybasehome.com/casestudies.php

Check out the angle of the aerial in the photo 2nd down on the right. If a roofer had ever been up there he would have sorted that. I mean it's there portfolio.

Cheap and cheerful and not done right. Screams of it

Just my 2p

Graeme

Please correct me someone if I am wrong?

It appears to me that there are no ground investigations undertaken by this company prior to the work of erecting a structure.

One of the main things that MUST be undertaken PRIOR to even any building calculations or design being undertaken is a Soils Investigation, in effect a trial pit and bore hole, or Bore holes are instructed, after all why build a structure over a load of earth 500.mm thick below which are several, or even a 1 M band of wet saturated soggy peat?

Ken

Thank you Graeme for your response I see your point but don't really see how the angle of the aerial is a problem for easybase to deal with.

Ken when the foundation pads are laid they must comply with local building regs and more often then not (so I'm told) building inspectors will make you dig to at least the foundation depth of the existing building and the soil is most likely to be of similar consistency as the original soil when the existing property was built so should be in theory suitable to extend on.

I'm still struggling to understand all the negativity, would be nice to hear from some one who has experienced this building system for an extension.

So far they have quoted me £22,000 for an extension 10m wide X 3m deep with all windows including 3 velux all doors lighting electrical sockets finished to plaster, all done in 4 days without the requirement of a skip. The nearest a builder came was £40,000 that's £18,000 more so you can see my temptation.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Aj

So far they have quoted me £22,000 for an extension 10m wide X 3m deep with all windows including 3 velux all doors lighting electrical sockets finished to plaster, all done in 4 days without the requirement of a skip. The nearest a builder came was £40,000 that's £18,000 more so you can see my temptation.

£22k for a glorified shed?

No thanks.

I bet a months wages that it will take longer than four days too.

I am also considering one of these as it is much cheaper than a traditional extension and seems to be better insulated than a conservatory. They are guaranteed and offer good value I believe.

I am looking at a 4m x 3m with bi fold doors. Builders quote £30-35K, will take an age to complete and much disruption to the garden. Easybuild circa £15K so no brainer to me.

Yes it has its doubters - everything that is 'non traditional' does - but the strength of their arguments are poor and do not have any substance. A conservatory will not devalue your home so do not see why this should??

What has to be underlined is the fact that "earth" is basically like a sponge with voids in it which can contain air or water. This means that you must go down to a level where the voids are really small, i.e. the subsoil. This is because the overlying earth has compacted the subsoil for 100 million years. This does not automatically make the subsoil OK but if its clay it should be.
On another thread I said that the method of not bedding down the blocks or jack feet will lead to settlement.
One way the system could be immensely improved would be if the jacks were redesigned, by having a hole drill right through the beam and a nut welded on underneath. If the jacking screw had a "Allan key" head then if a jack became loose it could be re-tightened with an Allan key poked down through the top hole.
Settlement can take a long time, so after ten years, the existing building would need a total refurb to get at the jacks!!
Frank

Noseall, please elaborate. I hear a lot of criticism that seems not to have any substance. Any genuine negativity with justification would be appreciated as would any positive comment but slating with no reason doesn't help anybody.

Theprinceofdarkness
Thank you for your comments I am planning on having a ground survey done to ensure foundation pads are correctly installed.

Philt66
Let me know how you get on. I noticed that at the end of last year they had a 10% discount so should be able to negotiate that off the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back