Easy for you but confusing for me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved into a new build house and I want to put a light on the front of the house, the builders left a grey box attached with the wires inside for me,....making it easy for me :)

Inside there is a 4 core cable but the light I brought from Wicks has only 3 wires, Live,neutral & earth.

the wires inside the box are brown, black (with brown sleeve on) grey and earth, so I wired up my wires from the light as follows:

brown to brown
earth to earth
blue to grey
and I left the black with the brown sleeve in the plastic block.

so I switched the fusebox rcd back on and the light works......but the switch on the hallway wall wont turn it off, the light stays on permanantly (which I dont want)

where did I go wrong? :)

Sponsored Links
The switched live is the one you need to connect the brown cable from the light to...i.e. the black +brown sleeved cable

connect the black wire with the brown sleeve on to the brown ( live ) of the fitting, this is the switch wire.
At the moment there is a permanent live feed to the fitting because you have connected to the brown core.
Quite common to use a 3 core and earth to feed an outside light if its a PIR type with a manual switched overide.

So, if its wired properly.

The black with the brown sleeve goes to the brown on the fitting.
The grey goes to the blue on the fitting
The bron should be terminated in a piece of insulated terminal block (aka choc plock)
connect up earth to the light if there is an earth terminal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back